Re: [MPD-5D] FW: Cell Phone Theft Initiative in Place & Expanded

  • Debbie Smith-Steiner
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2012
      Thank Chief Lanier for your leadership with this important quality of life issue.

      Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life, as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

             Booker T. Washington

      On Nov 14, 2012, at 6:35 PM, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

      Earlier this year, I worked with FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski and the cell phone industry to make important changes to address the theft of mobile devices. That initiative is now in place and has been expanded to Mexico.

      Victims of cell phone theft can now call their cell phone providers and have the device “bricked” making it inoperable.  Additionally, a database will be used to prevent the use of stolen electronic devices which will reduce their value on the black market.

      Cell phones remain the primary item taken in a robbery. We urge people not to be distracted while they are out on the streets, on public transportation, or dining in restaurants.

      Consumers are also reminded not to purchase used cell phones from the Internet or strangers, as the device may be stolen.

      See my remarks attached, the news release, and the link to yesterday’s press conference.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8kvdZCU1Us&feature=share&list=UUIWI0h4WenWWPlJrqU7GGsg

      Cathy L. Lanier

      Chief of Police

      Help 9-1-1 Save Your Life!
      Create a free Safety Profile to provide critical, lifesaving data to 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency call today at
      www.smart911.com.
      Inform first responders in advance!

      <FCC Media Release November 13 2012.pdf>
      <Chief Lanier Remarks w FCC on November 13 2012.pdf>
    • Thomas, Bradley (ANC 5C01)
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2012
        Excellent work Chief Lanier.  This issue is vitally important.

        Bradley A. Thomas