fireworks & police response

  • baringlake
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2006
      We normally have been impressed with the police that patrol in the
      Brookland/RIA area...for us, they've responded quickly when called.
      But tonight, for the 4th of July, we noticed people shooting massive
      fireworks off behind a series of rowhouses. One almost hit a house, so
      we called 911 to report the dangerous situation that could easily
      become a fire hazard to anyone inside the rowhouses.

      Instead of getting any attention when we called, we were essentially
      brushed off by the 911 operator as a "harmless fireworks" call -- and
      we did explain that the fireworks were massive and coming close to
      houses! She didn't even ask to take our address...my husband had to
      blurt it out before she cut him off.

      On top of that, I feel like I haven't seen one police officer
      patrolling in my neighborhood tonight..and that has let everyone with
      illegal fireworks set them off without any regard to safety. This is
      in real contrast to the presence I saw by Metro transit officers
      today. They were everywhere in the Metro system, made their presence
      known and kept things moving along fairly smoothly on a crowded
      system. Why can't the 5D police officers step up their presence on the
      4th too? It just feels like near lawlessness tonight...
      Jen
    • cninney@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006
        The Fifth District was flooded with calls for illegal fireworks, and they had a big detail downtown, not to under play your situation however the totality of all things involved must be weighted. The officers were very busy, so were the 911 operator.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006
          It is practically impossible to respond to every call for fireworks
          in a timely manner on July Fourth. Every corner has a group of people
          (often unsupervised children) setting them off. Officers respond to
          these calls with our 'position one' lights on. These are the rapidly-
          blinking white lights we are required to have on at all times because
          the powers that be have decided it's more important that citizens see
          us while we patrol than actually having officers able to arrive on a
          scene without broadcasting that arrival blocks ahead of time. Before
          we even get within a block, anyone doing anything illegal has either
          stashed whatever it is that they are not supposed to have or
          scattered in different directions. This not only applies to fireworks
          on July Fourth, but guns, drugs, etc., on a daily basis. (Off the
          topic, most officers and officials agree that these blinking lights
          actually increase the chances of crashes at intersections because
          drivers on cross streets tend to stop short when they see our
          cruisers approaching, assuming we are on an emergency run. This is
          especially true with the new cruisers whose 'position one' lights are
          strobes rather than just blinking lights.)

          I'm sorry we did not arrive at your location in a timely manner, but
          given the circumstances, I trust you'll understand why. Also keep in
          mind that criminals do not take holidays off. They are every bit as
          active, actually MORE so, on July Fourth as on non-holidays.