RE: [MPD-5D] FW: Suspect Arrested in Sexual Assaults While Armed

  • Geovani A Bonilla
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012

      Great job on MPDs part. Also a reminder to all of us not to let strangers inside secured buildings. This is a building where a security card is needed to get in. I know sometimes we want to be polite and feel that we have to let the person in, but it’s better to say, sorry I cannot let you in, please call the person you’re here to see and they can buzz you in.

      So sad that this is the world we live in today.

      Geovani A. Bonilla

      Bates Area Civic Association

      Email: gbonilla@...

      From: "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...>

      Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 22:43:37 -0400

      To: mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com<mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>

      ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: [MPD-5D] FW: Suspect Arrested in Sexual Assaults While Armed

      For Immediate Release

      Contact: Gwendolyn Crump (202) 727-4383

      November 3, 2012

      Suspect Arrested in Sexual Assaults While Armed

      ( Washington , DC ) – Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Sexual Assault Unit have announced a suspect has been arrested in connection with two attacks against female victims.

      On Friday, October 26, 2012, at approximately 1:53 pm, a male suspect knocked on an apartment door located in the 2300 block of Washington Place, NE. An adult female victim started to open the door when the suspect forced his way into the apartment and attempted to sexually assault the victim. A struggle ensued and the victim was stabbed multiple times before the suspect fled the location.

      On Friday, November 2, 2012, at approximately 1:15 pm, this same suspect entered a Howard University dorm room in the 2200 block of 4th Street, NW , displayed a knife and sexually assaulted a woman.

      The investigation led to the arrest of the suspect who was located in the 5300 block of 4th Street, NW .

      The suspect, identified as 19-year-old Demarco Myles, of Northwest, DC has been charged with Assault with the Intent to commit First Degree Sexual Assault while Armed for the October 26th attack. He was charged with First Degree Sexual Assault while Armed for yesterday’s offense.

      "This criminal committed violent attacks against women and we were eager to get him off our streets. Our detectives have been working around the clock since the first assault," said Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier. "Had we not located him, it is our belief that he would have continued to attack women."

      ###

      Grade.DC.gov has expanded!
      Now you can grade the DC Public Library, Police, Fire and EMS , the Office of Unified Communications (311/911) and the Office on Aging.
      Check out www.grade.dc.gov today.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
        Thanks Geovani, and thanks for repeating the security concerns about not allowing strangers to enter into your building behind you.

        Andy Solberg

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
          How does the community best help these victims?

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2012
            I am not sure how best to help the victims.

            However, I think one suggestion would be to take every possible step to avoid becoming one, and that would include, for example, taking the step that Geovani mentions below, which is to take a firm and unyielding stance on allowing unknown visitors into secure apartment buildings.

            There are plenty of other steps people can take to avoid becoming victims of other crimes.  One of the most common crimes we see these days is when young people rob victims of their electronic items.  What we often see is that the victims are walking on the street, talking on cell phones or listening to ipads or other devices, and not paying attention to their surroundings while at the same time advertising that they have items of value with them.

            So, we encourage all people to walk with purpose and confidence, stay off the devices, walk with a friend when possible, don't go to ATMs or gas stations at night, if you can avoid it, and so on.

            Most of these are common sense suggestions, but frequently not taken.

            Andy Solberg

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2012
              Thanks, Commander, Geovani and Kimberly. Good tips, all-- so I've taken the liberty of cross-posting this thread to the BrooklandGLBT listserv.

              This was a bold, despicable crime against women. However, everyone is at risk the longer criminal perpetrators remain free to commit more crimes.

              Just as an added reminder... this time of year especially (September through January, really), opportunistic perps also target apartments, condos and houses, where they are more likely to find a gold mine of new, recently-purchased (or exchanged) merchandise for holiday gift-giving.

              I join Kathy and all in thanking our MPD Detectives for promptly finding and apprehending this suspect.

              brian/
              504