Nuisance Vacant house

  • nealst
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
      Hello,
      who is the best resource to contact regarding an apparent vacant house? The house directly adjacent to our house has some movement in and out, but no one appears to live there. I am concerned because the house has become increasingly run down, and does not appear to be secure. Most recently, one of the front doors' glass has been smashed. The past few nights, the window AC units have been running at full blast - making awful noises throughout the night, as I'm sure the units are quite old.

      Thank you in advance for any advice.

      Kristin
    • Geovani A Bonilla
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012

        DCRA is who inspects and determines if a home is vacant and/or a nuisance property (which impacts how it is taxed). This is the link to request a home inspection: http://dcra.dc.gov/DC/DCRA/Inspections/Housing+Code+Inspections

        Geovani A. Bonilla

        Bates Area Civic Association

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
          Good evening Kristin,
          The Vacant Properties Unit of DCRA would be the best way to ensure the property is appropriately addressed. I have copied Mr. Pemberton, the Vacant Property Program Manager. He can be reached via email at vacantproperty@...

          Carl Thomas
          Mayor's Office of Neighborhood Engagement (ONE)
          Ward 5 Community Liaison
          202-340-7141
          Carl.Thomas@...

          Grade.DC.gov has expanded!
          Now you can grade the DC Public Library, Police, Fire and EMS, the Office of Unified Communications (311/911) and the Office on Aging.
          Check out www.grade.dc.gov today.