Got the shady "donate to our school" solicitation today

  • b_on_t
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2012
      Upon exiting my car after arriving home, two young girls approached me asking, for for a donation to support the cheerleading squad at Noyes Elementary School not too far from us.

      I don't know much about Noyes, but being an elementary school I find it hard to believe they have a cheerleading program. I asked them what the money would be for, and the younger of the two girls said it would be for travel and uniforms.

      I asked them where they were traveling, and she answered that when the Noyes football team travels they travel with them and have to pay for the bus. They had no literature or anything else suggesting they were on the level.

      I told them I didn't have any money and walked away, but watched them cross Franklin St (400 block) and solicit some more passers-by. At this time, I called 911 and provided a description and location.

      They came back to my block (2800 of 5th Street) a few minutes later and tried hitting up some more people. While I was tempted to break the whole thing up, I didn't want to potentially get myself in the middle of something. My wife noted that she had seen someone from Noyes post on the Brookland listserv that the school would never attempt to raise funds that way.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 17, 2012
        Has anyone checked with the Principal?

        Andy Solberg
        Commander, 5D

[...]

        Grade.DC.gov has expanded!
        Now you can grade the DC Public Library, Police, Fire and EMS, the Office of Unified Communications (311/911) and the Office on Aging.
        Check out www.grade.dc.gov today.