FW: MPD Uses YouTube to Highlight Cold Cases in an Effort to Generate New Leads

  • Press, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2012
      Contact: Gwendolyn Crump 202-727-4383

      October 12, 2012

      MPD Uses YouTube to Highlight Cold Cases in an Effort to Generate New Leads

      (Washington, DC)- Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier announced today an effort to highlight cold cases through YouTube videos in hopes of generating information from the public. The videos, produced by members of the Department’s Cold Case Squad, feature family members discussing their loved ones and making appeals to the public for assistance.

      “The community plays an important role in our efforts to reduce crime and close cases,” said Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier. “When members of the community come to us with vital information, they know we will act upon that information. We have received numerous tips from the community in other cases and we hope to continue to build upon that momentum.”

      The cases include the:

      • May 2006 homicide of 35-year-old Marcus Johnson, who was fatally shot in the 1400 block of First Street, NW http://youtu.be/s55EJrRcXKA .

      • October 2010 missing person 24-year-old Unique Harris, who was last seen at her home in the 2400 block of Hartford Street, SE http://youtu.be/-7MByUelzfk .

      The Metropolitan Police Department currently offers a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone that provides information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons wanted for any homicide committed in the District of Columbia.

      Anyone with information about these cases is asked to call the police at (202) 727-9099. Additionally, anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s TEXT TIP LINE by text messaging 50411.

      Grade.DC.gov has expanded!
      Now you can grade the DC Public Library, Police, Fire and EMS, the Office of Unified Communications (311/911) and the Office on Aging.
      Check out www.grade.dc.gov today.