Thanks for the feedback on speed cameras

  • Geovani A Bonilla
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2012
      Thank you all that had a constructive and objective response to my post. I think some great issues were raised:

      1. MPD needs all possible tools to keep our communities safe, including speed cameras.

      2. Cameras have demonstrated to reduce the number of red lights being violated and reduce traffic accidents.

      3. Cameras are a great source of revenue for DC; such that fines were doubled this year. DC issues more fines per capita than any other city.

      The other issues raised are:

      1. Proper speed posting should be present. Speed limits may vary from 15-35 MPH in a 4 block section. Example is N Cap Dt where south of Michigan Ave speed limit is 25 MPH but north of Michigan is 30 MPH and north of Washington Hospital Center is 35 MPH. Good news is that limits are properly posted.

      2. Because moving violations and parking violations vary from block to block some times, DC law requires proper signage to make vehicle operators aware of the law.

      3. DDOT should support MPDs efforts and ensure signs are up. Without proper signage, a case for entrapment can be made.

      4. If a driver clearly violates posted speed limits, clearly the fine is deserved. I have happily and quietly a few deserved tickets.

      Geovani A. Bonilla