Re: Love Letters from Chief Lanier (Not So Nice)

  • b_on_t
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 9, 2012
      Chief:

      If Geovanni doesn't mind, I'll chime in with one potential location that I know of.

      A few weeks back, a co-worker of mine who commutes into the city recently got hit with a camera ticket (from one of the car-mounted mobile cameras) on 395 south, right in the area of Maine Avenue. He was surprised to get the ticket because he guessed the speed was 55 mph, reasoning that 395 was a freeway, when the ticket indicated it was really 45 mph. It's not a route he travels much.

      Now, he placed the blame on himself and has probably already paid the ticket, but he felt there wasn't clear enough signage in the area of the camera at the time he got nabbed. Knowing him pretty well, he would've definitely slowed to the posted speed if he had seen a sign.

      The circumstances may be completely different now that some time has passed, but just wanted to chime in.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

      > What area Geovani?
      >

      > Plan TODAY for what’s on the way. September is National Emergency Preparedness Month. To learn how to prepare & to sign up for critical emergency alerts, go to www.72hours.dc.gov<http://www.72hours.dc.gov>.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 9, 2012
        JWhitfield, Yes, I live there and I know it is just around the bend. It is hard to exceed the limit after making that turn but we will make sure it is more visible. Thanks

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 9, 2012
          It wouldn't hurt to slow some of these police cars down as well. Especially when they are making a lunch run and exceeding the limit by more than 20 miles per hour at times.  Speed of this nature should include them running lights and sound and only if they are on an emergency.
          Far too many times I notice them driving too fast, talking on cell phones with no ear bud and being anything but cautious.

          --

          Even life begins because, a baby fights for freedom.

          (Let Freedom Ring)

          Please be informed that if you are in receipt of this email by intent, it is provided solely for the use of communicating with you as the intended target.  Use or duplication of this email including forwarding of attached email or any part of which is forbidden. To do so could result in a complaint being filed against you in multiple jurisdictions, including the District of Columbia, and or the state in which you also live.  Keith Jarrell

          Keith Jarrell

        • JWhitfield
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 9, 2012
            Thanks!

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 9, 2012
              I, too, am a college student in the area and would like to hear of any solutions or advice about this issue. This is unfortunate.

              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

              From: Bianca Lamar <blamar132@...>
              Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 11:36:19 -0400
              To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

              I agree with Geovani. I am a student at Howard U and I have had to use tuition money to pay off tickets and avoid getting a boot 2-3 times. I am not enrolled in the Fall 2012 semester because of this. I see the "Photo Enforced" signage but the speed is sometimes not posted. As of late, I've started to just slow down to 25 mph whenever I suspect a camera is around. The mobile cameras that you guys deploy and move around to new areas are also tricky to abide by. Feel free to look into my ticket history.

              I understand that the cameras help with pedestrian safety and that car accidents in the district have been lowered dramatically. But for me, someone who has luckily never been involved in an accident, the cameras have just been a vacuum on my savings account. I'd appreciate any advice or help with this that you may have to offer.

              Thanks so much,

              Struggling Student
              B. Lamar

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Sep 8, 2012, at 11:04 AM, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

              > What area Geovani?
              >

              > Plan TODAY for whatx2019;s on the way. September is National Emergency Preparedness Month. To learn how to prepare & to sign up for critical emergency alerts, go to www.72hours.dc.gov.

            • Leemah
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 9, 2012
                One could take pictures of the area where a ticket was issued showing the lack of signs. I'm sure a judge would consider the evidence.

                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                From: "b_on_t" <b_on_t@...>
                Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 00:37:00 +0000
                To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 9, 2012
                  Perhaps investigating the makers of the cameras, when and how they are calibrated, what are the accuracy percentages, their reliability any defects, etc.

                  Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                  From: "brian.ions" <brian.ions@...>
                  Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 15:48:26 +0000
                  To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [MPD-5D] Speed Limits: What's love got to do with it?

                  Geovani, generally, ignorance of the law is no defense against its enforcement.

                  So I'm curious. What DC code are you referencing and how does it read? And how specifically is the law being violated by the use of mobile speed cams?

                  In my experience, Virginia is much tougher on speed limit enforcement than the District. Lower speeds always allow a driver more time to react safely to unexpected conditions. Given DC's dense population, with its crazy L'Enfant street layout and many kid pedestrians (always an unpredictable driving situation), I can't fault the chiefs at all for trying to save lives and limbs with tough speed limit enforcement.

                  brian/
                  504

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 10, 2012
                    Brian,

                    Camera enforcement is in place to create revenue, not to save "lives and limbs."  it's all about the money.

                    To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 10, 2012
                      "I'd appreciate any advice or help with this that you may
                      have to offer."

                      Stop speeding.

                      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Bianca Lamar <blamar132@...> wrote:

                      > I agree with Geovani. I am a student at Howard U and I have had to use tuition money to pay off tickets and avoid getting a boot 2-3 times. I am not enrolled in the Fall 2012 semester because of this. I see the "Photo Enforced" signage but the speed is sometimes not posted. As of late, I've started to just slow down to 25 mph whenever I suspect a camera is around. The mobile cameras that you guys deploy and move around to new areas are also tricky to abide by. Feel free to look into my ticket history.
                      >
                      > I understand that the cameras help with pedestrian safety and that car accidents in the district have been lowered dramatically. But for me, someone who has luckily never been involved in an accident, the cameras have just been a vacuum on my savings account. I'd appreciate any advice or help with this that you may have to offer.
                      >
                      > Thanks so much,
                      >
                      > Struggling Student
                      > B. Lamar
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      > On Sep 8, 2012, at 11:04 AM, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > What area Geovani?
                      > >

                      > > Plan TODAY for whatx2019;s on the way. September is National Emergency Preparedness Month. To learn how to prepare & to sign up for critical emergency alerts, go to www.72hours.dc.gov.

                    • Matt Ashburn
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 10, 2012
                        Yes, the tickets are expensive, but so are the risks of driving unsafely.  The default speed limit is 25 unless otherwise posted, and the cameras don't start ticketing unless you're going 11mph over the speed limit.  I have little sympathy for those that get speed camera tickets- just pay the fine, and use it as a lesson to drive safer. A fine is a better wake-up call than an accident or injuring someone.

                        Matt

                        On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Bianca Lamar <blamar132@...> wrote:

                        I agree with Geovani. I am a student at Howard U and I have had to use tuition money to pay off tickets and avoid getting a boot 2-3 times. I am not enrolled in the Fall 2012 semester because of this. I see the "Photo Enforced" signage but the speed is sometimes not posted. As of late, I've started to just slow down to 25 mph whenever I suspect a camera is around. The mobile cameras that you guys deploy and move around to new areas are also tricky to abide by. Feel free to look into my ticket history.

                        I understand that the cameras help with pedestrian safety and that car accidents in the district have been lowered dramatically. But for me, someone who has luckily never been involved in an accident, the cameras have just been a vacuum on my savings account. I'd appreciate any advice or help with this that you may have to offer.

                        Thanks so much,

                        Struggling Student
                        B. Lamar

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Sep 8, 2012, at 11:04 AM, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

                        > What area Geovani?
                        >

                        > Plan TODAY for whatx2019;s on the way. September is National Emergency Preparedness Month. To learn how to prepare & to sign up for critical emergency alerts, go to www.72hours.dc.gov.

                      • Elizabeth Lyttleton
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 10, 2012
                          So, I'm a working mom on a tight budget.  But somehow I've managed to receive just one speeding ticket from a camera in the last 5 years.  I paid it, without complaint, because I was clearly driving too fast.  I sped up to pass someone who had pulled in front of me, and I shouldn't have.  It was stupid.

                          But generally speaking, what exactly is tricky about driving the speed limit?  Are you typing texts or reading emails on your phone? Changing your music when you shouldn't? I hope nobody stops in front of you too quickly, or that the light doesn't change and my kids and I aren't in the crosswalk when you're driving too fast....

                          Seriously, people, WHY IS IT SO HARD TO SLOW DOWN?!?!

                          Elizabeth
                          Eckington

                          --
                          Elizabeth Brooks Lyttleton
                          eblyttleton@...
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 10, 2012
                            I generally support anything that gets people to slow down and drive within the speed limit and while I don't think speed cameras are terribly useful, I don't have a real problem with them, generally. However, that specific speed camera, as 395 joins 295 near the Maine Ave exit, is really ill-advised. That is a high traffic merge area. Now that people know it is there, people start slamming on their brakes while other people are trying to merge, making a totally unpredictable and dangerous traffic flow. This is going to cause, and not prevent, an accident.

                            Thanks for this forum.

                            Faye Black
                            Michigan Park

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 10, 2012
                              GREAT advice Matthew. I haven't considered that as an option yet.

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On Sep 10, 2012, at 2:47 PM, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:

                              "I'd appreciate any advice or help with this that you may
                              have to offer."

                              Stop speeding.

                              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Bianca Lamar <blamar132@...> wrote:

                              > I agree with Geovani. I am a student at Howard U and I have had to use tuition money to pay off tickets and avoid getting a boot 2-3 times. I am not enrolled in the Fall 2012 semester because of this. I see the "Photo Enforced" signage but the speed is sometimes not posted. As of late, I've started to just slow down to 25 mph whenever I suspect a camera is around. The mobile cameras that you guys deploy and move around to new areas are also tricky to abide by. Feel free to look into my ticket history.
                              >
                              > I understand that the cameras help with pedestrian safety and that car accidents in the district have been lowered dramatically. But for me, someone who has luckily never been involved in an accident, the cameras have just been a vacuum on my savings account. I'd appreciate any advice or help with this that you may have to offer.
                              >
                              > Thanks so much,
                              >
                              > Struggling Student
                              > B. Lamar
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone
                              >
                              > On Sep 8, 2012, at 11:04 AM, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > What area Geovani?
                              > >

                              > > Plan TODAY for whatx2019;s on the way. September is National Emergency Preparedness Month. To learn how to prepare & to sign up for critical emergency alerts, go to www.72hours.dc.gov.

                              =
                            • Bernat, Edward (MPD)
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 10, 2012

                                The Speed and Red Light Cameras are in place to reduce accidents and to save lives.  When ever a person travels at a slower speed the reaction time is greater.  The difference between hitting a person at 25 MPH and 35 MPH could be life or death for all parties involved.  The penalty for being cited by the camera is a civil fine and does not carry any points, as opposed to any citation given by and officers which would carry points against the driver.  The easiest way to prevent paying the fine is to obey the speed limit or traffic control lights.  By doing this you would prevent the city or any jurisdiction from making any revenues. But making revenue is not the goal of this technology.

                                DCMR Title 18 covers traffic regulations in the city.  Section 2200 covers the speed restrictions in the District of Columbia .  Section 2200.06 reads, as follows:

                                On all streets and highways, unless otherwise designated in accordance with § 2200.2, the maximum lawful speed shall be twenty-five miles per hour (25 mph).

                                I would also invite you to read sections 2200.1, 2200.2 and 2200.3.  Section 2200.3 could get you a ticket regardless of the posted speed limits should you get cited for driving at a speed which is unreasonable for the traffic conditions, such are rain, snow or construction.

                                2200.1     Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with this section, the limits specified in this section, or established as authorized in § 2200.2, shall be the maximum lawful speeds, and no person shall drive a vehicle on a street or highway at a speed in excess of such maximum limits.

                                2200.2  Whenever the Mayor determines, upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation made by the Director, that any speed limit set forth in this section is greater or less than is reasonable or safe under the conditions found to exist at any intersection or other place or upon any part of a street or highway, he or she may determine and declare a reasonable and safe speed limit which shall be effective at all times, during the hours of daylight or darkness, or at such other times as may be determined when appropriate signs giving notice of the speed limits are erected at such intersections or other place or part of the highway.

                                2200.3     No person shall drive a vehicle on a street or highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing.

                                Anywhere in the United States the speed limit for residential areas are 25 mph unless otherwise posted. I have been on the police department  long enough to have seen the difference in damage and injury from a crash being struck at 25 mph or less as opposed to 35 mph.  There is a huge difference in injury.

                                If you travel from one location to another at 25 mph and then at 35 mph the difference in arrival time is so insignificant that it makes no sense in speeding and possibly putting children at risk of injury or even death.  Trust me if you were to seriously injure someone from negligence by speeding the cost would far greater to you and your family than the fine placed on you by the city.

                                I hope this answers any questions about the cameras and speed limits.

                                Edward R. Bernat

                                Lieutenant

                                Fifth District

                                1805 Bladensburg Road, N.E.

                                Washington, D.C. 20002

                                Office - 202-698-0268

                                Cell- 202-359-4240

                                Email: edward.bernat@...

                                CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only for use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this e-mail is the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement sensitive. This e-mail should not be forwarded or disseminated to unauthorized users. It should only be used by the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail at the address shown above. This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 11, 2012
                                  You're partially right, Daniel, in that cam enforcement nearly always saves taxpayer revenues by more efficiently allocating PD's and sheriff's patrol forces. That's a very good thing, as it provides more speeder deterrence bang for taxpayer bucks.

                                  However, your cynicism is still mistaken. There is no doubt that parents (AND aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc.) everywhere have little or no sympathy for speeders who thoughtlessly endanger the lives and limbs of their little children-- little children who trust their elders in their communities to provide a safe environment for them. But politicians, their prosecutors and law enforcement agencies aren't just responding to the public they serve and their own job experiences. Political leaders, lawyers, judges and cops have kids, grandkids and nieces and nephews, too.

                                  You are very mistaken if you don't understand how deeply committed PDs, state patrols and sheriff's offices (in our region and all over the country) are to the public safety of their communities' pedestrians and safe drivers -- and especially that of their communities' kids threatened by careless speeders.

                                  Hurling hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds of steel down a highway, street or road is a privilege, not a right. Speeding is a learned, bad habit-- usually from youth. It's often a mindset, too. Those who suffer from this dangerous habit need only develop new habits to overcome their threat to others-- the sooner, the better.

                                  Matthew and Matt are right. Speeders should simply stop speeding, and pay their tickets with good cheer. Most importantly, they ought learn from the experience.

                                  brian
                                  (recovering speeder)

                                  PS - Use the cruise control, too, speeders. On most vehicles it's good down to 25 mph. Who knew?
                                  :D

                                   To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: brian.ions@...
                                  > Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:48:26 +0000
                                  > Subject: [MPD-5D] Speed Limits: What's love got to do with it?
                                  >
                                  > Geovani, generally, ignorance of the law is no defense against its enforcement.
                                  >
                                  > So I'm curious. What DC code are you referencing and how does it read? And how specifically is the law being violated by the use of mobile speed cams?
                                  >
                                  > In my experience, Virginia is much tougher on speed limit enforcement than the District. Lower speeds always allow a driver more time to react safely to unexpected conditions. Given DC's dense population, with its crazy L'Enfant street layout and many kid pedestrians (always an unpredictable driving situation), I can't fault the chiefs at all for trying to save lives and limbs with tough speed limit enforcement.
                                  >
                                  > brian/
                                  > 504
                                  >

                                  > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" cathy.lanier@ wrote:
                                  >

                                  > What area Geovani?

                                • Matthew
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 11, 2012
                                    If you're not enrolled in college because of the cost of your speeding tickets, apparently you haven't considered that as an option.

                                    Want some more advice, based on your original message:

                                    "As of late, I've started to just slow down to 25 mph whenever I suspect a camera is around."

                                    How about you slow down and drive the speed limit regardless of whether you suspect a speed camera is in the area. You're not supposed to obey the law only when you believe you might get caught - you're supposed to always obey it.

                                    "But for me, someone who has luckily never been involved in an accident, the cameras have just been a vacuum on my savings account."

                                    Having never been in an accident doesn't mean you get to speed. The speed limit applies to everyone, regardless of their driving talents.

                                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Bianca Lamar <blamar132@...> wrote:

                                    > GREAT advice Matthew. I haven't considered that as an option yet.
                                    >
                                    > Sent from my iPhone
                                    >
                                    > On Sep 10, 2012, at 2:47 PM, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > "I'd appreciate any advice or help with this that you may
                                    > > have to offer."
                                    > >
                                    > > Stop speeding.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Bianca Lamar <blamar132@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I agree with Geovani. I am a student at Howard U and I have had to use tuition money to pay off tickets and avoid getting a boot 2-3 times. I am not enrolled in the Fall 2012 semester because of this. I see the "Photo Enforced" signage but the speed is sometimes not posted. As of late, I've started to just slow down to 25 mph whenever I suspect a camera is around. The mobile cameras that you guys deploy and move around to new areas are also tricky to abide by. Feel free to look into my ticket history.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I understand that the cameras help with pedestrian safety and that car accidents in the district have been lowered dramatically. But for me, someone who has luckily never been involved in an accident, the cameras have just been a vacuum on my savings account. I'd appreciate any advice or help with this that you may have to offer.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Thanks so much,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Struggling Student
                                    > > > B. Lamar
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Sent from my iPhone

                                  • Peter Vail
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 11, 2012
                                      L. Bernat,

                                      My concern is that I do not believe there is adequate speed limit signage before the camera right after the Maine Ave exit on 395. Tack marks on the lanes are a poor indicator.  I am not certain if the cameras installed on Florida Ave NE on the traffic light at the Gallaudet main entrance are for speeding - but there is certainly inadequate signage there as well.

                                      Cameras aren't my issue. If you want people to drive the speed limit, the first step should be communicating what the speed limit is.

                                      Thanks,

                                      Pete

                                      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com