Re: [MPD-5D] And The Annual Annoyance Begins...

  • Jenny Decker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
      This was definitely not an issue when I lived on Constitution near the
      Capital...however, since moving to 6th & Florida NE a few years ago, the
      fireworks begin predictably after Memorial Day and continue straight through
      the middle of July. Like a couple of other posters, I would also be
      interested to know if there is any way to stop or discourage this activity,
      especially when it occurs after midnight on regular weekdays. Not only is
      the noise a nuisance and disturbance, we find debris from the fireworks on
      our car and littering our yard for months after the fireworks have stopped.

      From: "David Gaines" <surelock@...>
      To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      CC:
      <vorange@...>,<pmendelson@...>,<sambrose@...>,<lcropp@...>,<afenty@...>,<dcatania@...>
      Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] And The Annual Annoyance Begins...
      Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:31:33 -0400

      i just moved to district five a few months ago and the amount of fireworks
      being exploded each night has been quite a surprise. the first night or two
      i figured someone was warming up really early for independence day. but the
      fireworks have been going off every single night for a while now. and i'm
      talking about booooming, loud and shattering explosive types just outside
      the window.

      my mother has recently moved in for the summer after undergoing kidney
      surgery at walter reed and i must say, the fireworks are kind of hard to
      explain to her since it caught me by surprise and she's from the quiet south
      where no one does fireworks unless it's at a mall for new year's eve or 4th
      of july.

      i also would like to know what can be done to at least limit the times the
      fireworks are being used and if there is some kind of restrictions as to how
      close to living quarters they can be exploded. can minors use them without
      parental supervision?

      _______________________________
      David Gaines

      "Out of clutter, find simplicity..."
      --Albert Einstein

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
        In addition to the noise pollution, fireworks release a hazardous
        substance called perchlorate into the environment when detonated and
        this chemical is becoming ubiquitous in our water supplies. From an
        environmental perspective, fireworks are a hazard to human health
        and a luxury item we could surely do without.

        Heather on 15th NE