Re: [MPD-5D] And The Annual Annoyance Begins...

  • David Gaines
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7 10:31 AM
      i just moved to district five a few months ago and the amount of fireworks being exploded each night has been quite a surprise.  the first night or two i figured someone was warming up really early for independence day.  but the fireworks have been going off every single night for a while now.  and i'm talking about booooming, loud and shattering explosive types just outside the window.

      my mother has recently moved in for the summer after undergoing kidney surgery at walter reed and i must say, the fireworks are kind of hard to explain to her since it caught me by surprise and she's from the quiet south where no one does fireworks unless it's at a mall for new year's eve or 4th of july.

      i also would like to know what can be done to at least limit the times the fireworks are being used and if there is some kind of restrictions as to how close to living quarters they can be exploded.  can minors use them without parental supervision?

      _______________________________
      David Gaines

      "Out of clutter, find simplicity..."
                  --Albert Einstein

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9 5:33 AM
        This was definitely not an issue when I lived on Constitution near the
        Capital...however, since moving to 6th & Florida NE a few years ago, the
        fireworks begin predictably after Memorial Day and continue straight through
        the middle of July. Like a couple of other posters, I would also be
        interested to know if there is any way to stop or discourage this activity,
        especially when it occurs after midnight on regular weekdays. Not only is
        the noise a nuisance and disturbance, we find debris from the fireworks on
        our car and littering our yard for months after the fireworks have stopped.

        From: "David Gaines" <surelock@...>
        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
        CC:
        <vorange@...>,<pmendelson@...>,<sambrose@...>,<lcropp@...>,<afenty@...>,<dcatania@...>
        Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] And The Annual Annoyance Begins...

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9 1:57 PM
          In addition to the noise pollution, fireworks release a hazardous
          substance called perchlorate into the environment when detonated and
          this chemical is becoming ubiquitous in our water supplies. From an
          environmental perspective, fireworks are a hazard to human health
          and a luxury item we could surely do without.

          Heather on 15th NE