And The Annual Annoyance Begins...

  • Patrick Nelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
      Dear neighbors and friends,

      Each year we in the District we residents begin to be assaulted by fireworks.  Not only is this annoying to me and a disturbance to the neighborhood, it scares the living daylights out of my dog.  It's completely unacceptable.

      I know that these things are pretty much legal in the district, but I refuse to have to listen to them through the wee hours of the morning.  My questions is: What can we as citizens to do stop this?  Do we call 311?  Do we bombard our council folk with calls to ask them to finally outlaw these dangerous explosives that are nonchalantly given to children?  What is the solution?

      Patrick Nelson
      1900 block H Street NE

      +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

      If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
      -James Madison

      "Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism"
      -Howard Zinn, Historian

      ME: http://www.speedbumps.org         MASSAGE: http://www.capitolhillmassage.org
      AIM: aRodeoJock                       Yahoo: aRodeoJock

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2006
        i just moved to district five a few months ago and the amount of fireworks being exploded each night has been quite a surprise.  the first night or two i figured someone was warming up really early for independence day.  but the fireworks have been going off every single night for a while now.  and i'm talking about booooming, loud and shattering explosive types just outside the window.

        my mother has recently moved in for the summer after undergoing kidney surgery at walter reed and i must say, the fireworks are kind of hard to explain to her since it caught me by surprise and she's from the quiet south where no one does fireworks unless it's at a mall for new year's eve or 4th of july.

        i also would like to know what can be done to at least limit the times the fireworks are being used and if there is some kind of restrictions as to how close to living quarters they can be exploded.  can minors use them without parental supervision?

        _______________________________
        David Gaines

        "Out of clutter, find simplicity..."
                    --Albert Einstein

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
          This was definitely not an issue when I lived on Constitution near the
          Capital...however, since moving to 6th & Florida NE a few years ago, the
          fireworks begin predictably after Memorial Day and continue straight through
          the middle of July. Like a couple of other posters, I would also be
          interested to know if there is any way to stop or discourage this activity,
          especially when it occurs after midnight on regular weekdays. Not only is
          the noise a nuisance and disturbance, we find debris from the fireworks on
          our car and littering our yard for months after the fireworks have stopped.

          From: "David Gaines" <surelock@...>
          To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
          CC:
          <vorange@...>,<pmendelson@...>,<sambrose@...>,<lcropp@...>,<afenty@...>,<dcatania@...>
          Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] And The Annual Annoyance Begins...

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
            In addition to the noise pollution, fireworks release a hazardous
            substance called perchlorate into the environment when detonated and
            this chemical is becoming ubiquitous in our water supplies. From an
            environmental perspective, fireworks are a hazard to human health
            and a luxury item we could surely do without.

            Heather on 15th NE