Heated Argument in RI Ave Hot Spot

  • beanish80
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
      This morning around 5:30am, I was awakened to the sound of a loud argument (yelling, cursing, etc.) between two people possibly near 4th street just off of Rhode Island Ave.  It continued for about an hour and it sounded like more people got involved at one point.  I could not make out what they were saying, nor could I see where they were.  Thankfully, it did not escalate into violence, but by the tones of their voices, it sounded like it could have at any moment.  Did anyone else hear this or does anyone know where the arguers were?

      I've only lived in this area for a few months, but I have not seen a police cruiser patroling the neighborhood or just sitting and watching.  Neighbors have told me that they've seen cruisers parked in the area, but I have personally seen officers in the neighborhood only twice and in both cases it seemed that they were responding to a call, not just patroling.

      Can someone explain to me exactly how the violent crime focus areas or hot spots are policed differently than the other neighborhoods?  I would expect to see more of a police presence in hot spots than in other areas.  I don't want to sound ungrateful for the good work that MPD 5D does and maybe I just don't see the police when they are patroling, but it seems to me that the RI Ave hot spot could use a more regular police presence.
    • Patrick Nelson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
        Dear neighbors and friends,

        Each year we in the District we residents begin to be assaulted by fireworks.  Not only is this annoying to me and a disturbance to the neighborhood, it scares the living daylights out of my dog.  It's completely unacceptable.

        I know that these things are pretty much legal in the district, but I refuse to have to listen to them through the wee hours of the morning.  My questions is: What can we as citizens to do stop this?  Do we call 311?  Do we bombard our council folk with calls to ask them to finally outlaw these dangerous explosives that are nonchalantly given to children?  What is the solution?

        Patrick Nelson
        1900 block H Street NE

        +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

        If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
        -James Madison

        "Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism"
        -Howard Zinn, Historian

        ME: http://www.speedbumps.org         MASSAGE: http://www.capitolhillmassage.org
        AIM: aRodeoJock                       Yahoo: aRodeoJock

[...]

      • David Gaines
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2006
          i just moved to district five a few months ago and the amount of fireworks being exploded each night has been quite a surprise.  the first night or two i figured someone was warming up really early for independence day.  but the fireworks have been going off every single night for a while now.  and i'm talking about booooming, loud and shattering explosive types just outside the window.

          my mother has recently moved in for the summer after undergoing kidney surgery at walter reed and i must say, the fireworks are kind of hard to explain to her since it caught me by surprise and she's from the quiet south where no one does fireworks unless it's at a mall for new year's eve or 4th of july.

          i also would like to know what can be done to at least limit the times the fireworks are being used and if there is some kind of restrictions as to how close to living quarters they can be exploded.  can minors use them without parental supervision?

          _______________________________
          David Gaines

          "Out of clutter, find simplicity..."
                      --Albert Einstein

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
            This was definitely not an issue when I lived on Constitution near the
            Capital...however, since moving to 6th & Florida NE a few years ago, the
            fireworks begin predictably after Memorial Day and continue straight through
            the middle of July. Like a couple of other posters, I would also be
            interested to know if there is any way to stop or discourage this activity,
            especially when it occurs after midnight on regular weekdays. Not only is
            the noise a nuisance and disturbance, we find debris from the fireworks on
            our car and littering our yard for months after the fireworks have stopped.

            From: "David Gaines" <surelock@...>
            To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
            CC:
            <vorange@...>,<pmendelson@...>,<sambrose@...>,<lcropp@...>,<afenty@...>,<dcatania@...>
            Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] And The Annual Annoyance Begins...

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
              In addition to the noise pollution, fireworks release a hazardous
              substance called perchlorate into the environment when detonated and
              this chemical is becoming ubiquitous in our water supplies. From an
              environmental perspective, fireworks are a hazard to human health
              and a luxury item we could surely do without.

              Heather on 15th NE