RE: [MPD-5D] RE: Update of Florida Avenue Park
MessageGood morning, Francine-I saw the exchange between you and Rene Albacete on the Bloomingdale Listserve regarding the installation of gates at the Florida Avenue Park. Your response to Rene prompts these questions from me....Is the Kennedy Playground on P Street, NW, under the jurisdiction of Parks and Recreation? This playground is gated...how did that come about?Mary Ann Wilmer-----Original Message-----
From: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Edmonds, Francine (EOM)
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 11:07 AM
Cc: Smith, Dee (COUNCIL); Cooper, Derrick (COUNCIL); Perkins, Linda (COUNCIL); Liriano, Yahaira (EOM)
Subject: [MPD-5D] RE: Update of Florida Avenue Park
Good morning all!
First I would like to thank Neil Rodgers and his staff for meeting with my Director (Tara Jones) and I in regards to the complaints concerning the First and Florida Avenue Park. As a result of this meeting, several issues were addressed and I am please to give you an update.
DPR, the Ward 5 Neighborhood Services office and other agencies are planning several activities in the coming months, so please feel free to contact this office if you would like to be apart of the exciting activities we have planned.
Thank you all for your patience in this matter.
Problem: Lights in Park - explore options for state-of-the-art lighting closer to ground (See lighting at John Paul Cultural Center).
- Lighting is low requiring an increase for safety purposes
- Lights need to be equipped with timers (If timers are present, can they be reset to accommodate night time activities?)
- 6 out of 7 lights back on line as of Thursday May 25, 2006. Problem; a damaged disconnect in the electrical circuitry was repaired.
- Timer for lights set to turn lights on at 7:00 pm and off at 6:00 am 7 days a week. (If a change is needed in timing, please notify.)
- Park will be monitored to see if more lighting is needed.
Signs need replenishing to abate the use of Alcohol and drugs at front entrance and in park area along with the Urban Park Rangers (DPR) and Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) will enhance enforcement of rules and regulations.
- No alcoholic Beverages or Drugs Allowed
- Park closes at Dark
Scheduled for Thursday, 6/01/06 to install new signs
DPR is working on the following issues that were recently brought to our attention and should be resolved in a timely manner.
1. Replacing the nets on the basketball poles.
2. Having the retainer wall facing North Capitol Street painted in to for the Bates Area Civic Association's Flower Power Garden Walk.
Francine P. Edmonds
Ward 5 Neighborhood Services Coordinator
Office of Neighborhood Services
64 New York Avenue NE,
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 671-0728 (Fax)
To request a scheduled service, call 202-727-1000 or visit www.src.dc.gov
- Big Ben's Liquors and Super Liquors have each filed
applications to renew their liquor licenses with the
DC Alcohol Beverage Control Board (ABC).
As many of us in Ward 5/Truxton Circle know, these
liquor stores are focal points for crime, loitering,
drug trafficking, and other criminal behavior.
ANC 5C has voted to officially OPPOSE renewing the
liquor licenses of these establishments.
If you wish to join the petition, please fill out one
(or both) of the petition forms attached to this
message and fax or mail to Commissioner Cleopatra
Jones (her contact information is printed on the
Also, there will be a public hearing on Wednesday,
June 21, at the ABC Board's office at 941 North
Capitol Street NE, Room 7200, beginning at 10 a.m.
We need a good show of support at that hearing if we
are to successfully oppose the renewal of these licenses.
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around