RE: [MPD-5D] Trucked in day workers?

  • Edmonds, Francine (EOM)
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 1:49 PM

      The information below was posted on the Eckington Listserv.  Thank you whoever posted this for taking the time to educate your neighborhood as well as the Ward.  Remember the inspectors are out daily.

      Francine P. Edmonds

      Ward 5 Neighborhood Services Coordinator

      Office of Neighborhood Services

      64 New York Avenue NE,

      Room 4100

      Washington, DC 20002

      (202) 671-0726

      (202) 671-0728 (Fax)

      francine.edmonds@...

      To request a scheduled service, call 202-727-1000 or visit www.src.dc.gov

      From DCRA's Communications Team

      May 31, 2006

      DCRA Notifies Residents of Seasonal Grass-Cutting Rules http://dcra.dev.dc.gov/dcra/cwp/view,a,11,q,636933,dcraNav_GID,1695.asp

      (Washington, DC) Did you know uncut grass could cost you $500? Each year from May 1 through October 31 the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs enforces "seasonal grass-cutting" rules.

      Grass and weeds that are more than 10 inches tall could lead to fines. During growing season, property owners (commercial and residential) are required to maintain their premises in a healthy and sanitary manner, free of trash and excessive vegetative growth.

      Grass pollen is a common trigger for asthma and allergies. Keeping grass cut can be a part of an overall preventative strategy to control respiratory illness. Excessive growth can harbor rats and other vermin leading to serious public health implications.

      DCRA regulations cover all types of excessive vegetative growth including the following: kudzu, poison ivy, plants with obnoxious odors, weeds, grasses causing hay fever, and any weed growth that creates a breeding place for mosquitoes. Regulations require that these weeds not be in place for more than seven (7) calendar days. Weeds may be defined as, but are not limited to, poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac and all vegetation at any state of maturity that matches the following characteristics:

      *     Exceeds ten (10) inches in height, is untended, or creates a dense area

      of shrubbery that is a detriment to the health, safety and welfare of the public;

      *     Regardless of height, creates a harbor (including hiding places for

      persons), or a concealment for refuse or trash;

      *     Develops into deposits or accumulation of refuse or trash;

      *     Harbors rodents and vermin or provides a refuge for snakes, rats or

      other rodents;

      *     Creates an unpleasant or noxious odor;

      *     Constitutes a fire hazard; or

      *     Contains grass or weeds that are dead or diseased.

      Failure to comply with a Notice of Violation during the growing season may result in the District abating the property and imposing fines, penalties and fees on the owner. Residents can report violations and request grass and weed cutting services by calling (202) 442-4400 or by visiting the Service Request Center.

      Seasonal grass-cutting rules are from Section 800.10 of the DCMR14.

    • Mary Ann
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
        Message
        Good morning, Francine-

        I saw the exchange between you and Rene Albacete on the Bloomingdale Listserve regarding the installation of gates at the Florida Avenue Park.  Your response to Rene prompts these questions from me....

        Is the Kennedy Playground on P Street, NW, under the jurisdiction of Parks and Recreation?  This playground is gated...how did that come about?

        Mary Ann Wilmer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
          Big Ben's Liquors and Super Liquors have each filed
          applications to renew their liquor licenses with the
          DC Alcohol Beverage Control Board (ABC).

          As many of us in Ward 5/Truxton Circle know, these
          liquor stores are focal points for crime, loitering,
          drug trafficking, and other criminal behavior.

          ANC 5C has voted to officially OPPOSE renewing the
          liquor licenses of these establishments.

          If you wish to join the petition, please fill out one
          (or both) of the petition forms attached to this
          message and fax or mail to Commissioner Cleopatra
          Jones (her contact information is printed on the
          forms).

          Also, there will be a public hearing on Wednesday,
          June 21, at the ABC Board's office at 941 North
          Capitol Street NE, Room 7200, beginning at 10 a.m.

          We need a good show of support at that hearing if we
          are to successfully oppose the renewal of these licenses.

          http://mail.yahoo.com