RE: Update of Florida Avenue Park

  • Edmonds, Francine (EOM)
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2006

      Good morning all!

      First I would like to thank Neil Rodgers and his staff for meeting with my Director (Tara Jones) and I in regards to the complaints concerning the First and Florida Avenue Park.  As a result of this meeting, several issues were addressed and I am please to give you an update.

      DPR, the Ward 5 Neighborhood Services office and other agencies are planning several activities in the coming months, so please feel free to contact this office if you would like to be apart of the exciting activities we have planned.

      Thank you all for your patience in this matter.

      Electrical:

      Problem:  Lights in Park - explore options for state-of-the-art lighting closer to ground (See lighting at John Paul Cultural Center).

      • Lighting is low requiring an increase for safety purposes

      • Lights need to be equipped with timers (If timers are present, can they be reset to accommodate night time activities?)

        1. 6 out of 7 lights back on line as of Thursday May 25, 2006. Problem; a damaged disconnect in the electrical circuitry was repaired.
        2. Timer for lights set to turn lights on at 7:00 pm and off at 6:00 am 7 days a week. (If a change is needed in timing, please notify.)
        3. Park will be monitored to see if more lighting is needed.

      Signage:

      Signs need replenishing to abate the use of Alcohol and drugs at front entrance and in park area along with the Urban Park Rangers (DPR) and Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) will enhance enforcement of rules and regulations.

      1.  No alcoholic Beverages or Drugs Allowed
      2.  Park closes at Dark

      Scheduled for Thursday, 6/01/06 to install new signs

      DPR is working on the following issues that were recently brought to our attention and should be resolved in a timely manner.

      1.                   Replacing the nets on the basketball poles.

      2.                   Having the retainer wall facing North Capitol Street painted in to for the Bates Area Civic Association's Flower Power Garden Walk.

      Francine P. Edmonds

      Ward 5 Neighborhood Services Coordinator

      Office of Neighborhood Services

      64 New York Avenue NE,

      Room 4100

      Washington, DC 20002

      (202) 671-0726

      (202) 671-0728 (Fax)

      francine.edmonds@...

      To request a scheduled service, call 202-727-1000 or visit www.src.dc.gov

    • Mary Ann
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2006
        Message
        Thanks for the update, Francine.  I will give you a call, as requested.

        Mary Ann Wilmer

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2006
          Does anyone know anything about the white delivery
          trucks that appear on N Street NW (between New Jersey
          and First by the Dunbar High School stadium)?

          The trucks show up like clockwork every weekday
          morning, around 7:30/8 a.m. and appear to truck in
          dozens of people who seem to be 'day workers' of some
          sort. I've heard rumors that these folks are
          professional eviction laborers and assemble on this
          street to receive their daily assignments.

          I don't know if the rumor is true or not, but they are
          clearly involved in some organized activity -- perhaps
          perfectly legal -- but definitely suspicious.

          What I do know, however, is that these trucks take up
          valuable street parking, obscure visibility for
          on-coming traffic, and bring in workers that walk in
          and out of the intersection causing a traffic hazard
          during the busy morning rush hour.

          Could an officer check into this and/or advise as to
          the nature of this activity?

          Thanks.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Edmonds, Francine (EOM)
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2006

            The information below was posted on the Eckington Listserv.  Thank you whoever posted this for taking the time to educate your neighborhood as well as the Ward.  Remember the inspectors are out daily.

            Francine P. Edmonds

            Ward 5 Neighborhood Services Coordinator

            Office of Neighborhood Services

            64 New York Avenue NE,

            Room 4100

            Washington, DC 20002

            (202) 671-0726

            (202) 671-0728 (Fax)

            francine.edmonds@...

            To request a scheduled service, call 202-727-1000 or visit www.src.dc.gov

            From DCRA's Communications Team

            May 31, 2006

            DCRA Notifies Residents of Seasonal Grass-Cutting Rules http://dcra.dev.dc.gov/dcra/cwp/view,a,11,q,636933,dcraNav_GID,1695.asp

            (Washington, DC) Did you know uncut grass could cost you $500? Each year from May 1 through October 31 the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs enforces "seasonal grass-cutting" rules.

            Grass and weeds that are more than 10 inches tall could lead to fines. During growing season, property owners (commercial and residential) are required to maintain their premises in a healthy and sanitary manner, free of trash and excessive vegetative growth.

            Grass pollen is a common trigger for asthma and allergies. Keeping grass cut can be a part of an overall preventative strategy to control respiratory illness. Excessive growth can harbor rats and other vermin leading to serious public health implications.

            DCRA regulations cover all types of excessive vegetative growth including the following: kudzu, poison ivy, plants with obnoxious odors, weeds, grasses causing hay fever, and any weed growth that creates a breeding place for mosquitoes. Regulations require that these weeds not be in place for more than seven (7) calendar days. Weeds may be defined as, but are not limited to, poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac and all vegetation at any state of maturity that matches the following characteristics:

            *     Exceeds ten (10) inches in height, is untended, or creates a dense area

            of shrubbery that is a detriment to the health, safety and welfare of the public;

            *     Regardless of height, creates a harbor (including hiding places for

            persons), or a concealment for refuse or trash;

            *     Develops into deposits or accumulation of refuse or trash;

            *     Harbors rodents and vermin or provides a refuge for snakes, rats or

            other rodents;

            *     Creates an unpleasant or noxious odor;

            *     Constitutes a fire hazard; or

            *     Contains grass or weeds that are dead or diseased.

            Failure to comply with a Notice of Violation during the growing season may result in the District abating the property and imposing fines, penalties and fees on the owner. Residents can report violations and request grass and weed cutting services by calling (202) 442-4400 or by visiting the Service Request Center.

            Seasonal grass-cutting rules are from Section 800.10 of the DCMR14.

          • Mary Ann
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
              Message
              Good morning, Francine-

              I saw the exchange between you and Rene Albacete on the Bloomingdale Listserve regarding the installation of gates at the Florida Avenue Park.  Your response to Rene prompts these questions from me....

              Is the Kennedy Playground on P Street, NW, under the jurisdiction of Parks and Recreation?  This playground is gated...how did that come about?

              Mary Ann Wilmer

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
                Big Ben's Liquors and Super Liquors have each filed
                applications to renew their liquor licenses with the
                DC Alcohol Beverage Control Board (ABC).

                As many of us in Ward 5/Truxton Circle know, these
                liquor stores are focal points for crime, loitering,
                drug trafficking, and other criminal behavior.

                ANC 5C has voted to officially OPPOSE renewing the
                liquor licenses of these establishments.

                If you wish to join the petition, please fill out one
                (or both) of the petition forms attached to this
                message and fax or mail to Commissioner Cleopatra
                Jones (her contact information is printed on the
                forms).

                Also, there will be a public hearing on Wednesday,
                June 21, at the ABC Board's office at 941 North
                Capitol Street NE, Room 7200, beginning at 10 a.m.

                We need a good show of support at that hearing if we
                are to successfully oppose the renewal of these licenses.

                http://mail.yahoo.com