Re: Safety Tips: Robbery

  • zonkerbrainless
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9 6:23 AM
      Hi!
      What does "be aware of your surroundings" mean, specifically? I've seen that a lot and never quite understood what it meant.
      Stefan

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Griffin, Randy (MPD)" <randy.griffin@...> wrote:

      > The information below was sent out last week. The repeated dissemination of the tips is not only intended for new users of the listserv, but also for the benefit of the senior users as well.
      >
      > The best way to protect yourself from a street robbery is to reduce your exposure to potentially being victimized. Thieves will typically take advantage of persons that appear to be unaware of their surroundings. The basic rules of prevention are to be alert and sensible. If possible, please consider the following:
      >
      > 1. Avoid displaying or being distracted by your electronic devices (I-pad, I-phone, etc.). These devices are hot targets for robbers.
      > 2. Always be aware of your surroundings.
      > 3. Do not walk alone during late hours. There is always strength in numbers.
      > 4. Avoid walking in alleys, vacant lots, and short-cuts in secluded areas.
      > 5. Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible. Walk close to the curb, avoiding doorways, bushes and potential hiding places.
      > 6. Do not burden yourself with too many packages or items as you walk.
      > 7. Avoid carrying large sums of cash.
      > 8. Trust your instincts. If something or someone makes you uneasy, seek a safer location.
      > 9. Know the neighborhoods where you travel.
      >
      > The list is not all-inclusive, however, the suggested basic preventive measures decreases the chances of you becoming a victim. Please pass this on to your friends and neighbors. Awareness is essential and empowering.
      >

      > Acting Lieutenant Randy Griffin
      > Metropolitan Police Department
      > Fifth District
      >
      > <http://www.sustainable.dc.gov>
      > Grade Your Government!
      > Share your thoughts on key DC Government services.
      > Check out the new grade.dc.gov and give your feedback via web, text or social media.
      > Learn more at www.grade.dc.gov<http://www.grade.dc.gov>

    • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9 7:06 PM
        Be  aware of your  surroundings  means - if something looks out of place -- it usually is. Trust your  gut instincts -- they are  usually right.

        Cathy L. Lanier
        Chief of Police
        Washington, D.C.
        (202) 727-4218

        On Jul 9, 2012, at 8:51 PM, "zonkerbrainless" <zonkerbrainless@...> wrote:

        Hi!
        What does "be aware of your surroundings" mean, specifically? I've seen that a lot and never quite understood what it meant.
        Stefan

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Griffin, Randy (MPD)" <randy.griffin@...> wrote:

        > The information below was sent out last week. The repeated dissemination of the tips is not only intended for new users of the listserv, but also for the benefit of the senior users as well.
        >
        > The best way to protect yourself from a street robbery is to reduce your exposure to potentially being victimized. Thieves will typically take advantage of persons that appear to be unaware of their surroundings. The basic rules of prevention are to be alert and sensible. If possible, please consider the following:
        >
        > 1. Avoid displaying or being distracted by your electronic devices (I-pad, I-phone, etc.). These devices are hot targets for robbers.
        > 2. Always be aware of your surroundings.
        > 3. Do not walk alone during late hours. There is always strength in numbers.
        > 4. Avoid walking in alleys, vacant lots, and short-cuts in secluded areas.
        > 5. Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible. Walk close to the curb, avoiding doorways, bushes and potential hiding places.
        > 6. Do not burden yourself with too many packages or items as you walk.
        > 7. Avoid carrying large sums of cash.
        > 8. Trust your instincts. If something or someone makes you uneasy, seek a safer location.
        > 9. Know the neighborhoods where you travel.
        >
        > The list is not all-inclusive, however, the suggested basic preventive measures decreases the chances of you becoming a victim. Please pass this on to your friends and neighbors. Awareness is essential and empowering.
        >

        > Acting Lieutenant Randy Griffin
        > Metropolitan Police Department
        > Fifth District
        >
        > <http://www.sustainable.dc.gov>
        > Grade Your Government!
        > Share your thoughts on key DC Government services.
        > Check out the new grade.dc.gov and give your feedback via web, text or social media.
        > Learn more at www.grade.dc.gov<http://www.grade.dc.gov>

        Grade Your Government!
        Share your thoughts on key DC Government services.
        Check out the new grade.dc.gov and give your feedback via web, text or social media.
        Learn more at
        www.grade.dc.gov

      • Taylor Armstrong
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10 6:07 AM
          Means pay attention to what's around you...  don't walk around with your iPod in, oblivious to things like someone following you, etc.  "Keep your eyes open".

          I've seen people walking around after dark, headphones in, and texting...  not only are you not paying attention, but the light from the screen is probably wrecking your night vision - someone could walk right up to you and grab the phone before you even see them that way.