Re: [MPD-5D] Vehicle checkpoints in our neighborhood

  • beanish80
    Message 1 of 10 , May 23, 2006
      I appreciate your statement about guns, since in our case, it is the criminals who carry them and this gives them their edge over law abiding citizens/would-be victims.  And I think they realize that and capitalize on it.  This is part of the reason you have teenagers who feel they don't have to respect anyone else, let alone their elders, since their guns, or the threat of their guns, give them the power of intimidation.  It used to be that ownership of guns by law abiding citizens was not uncommon and crime was not running rampant the way it is today.  I wonder if criminals would stop and think twice about committing some of the crimes they do, if they knew it was possible that the person they were attempting to victimize might be able to turn the tables on them.

      This is obviously not a black and white issue, there are many other factors involved, but I think the conversation should at least be opened among those with the power to change the laws.  In the meantime, I suppose the police feel as if they've got to come up with a more effective way of getting guns out of the hands of criminals and this was an attempt to do that.

      vivaldi1787 <kristofor1787@...> wrote:
      Dear Ms. Edmonds:

      Athough I obviously share your desire to control crime in my
      neighborhood-- I live only a few blocks from where these police
      checkpoints were taking place --I am concerned that you would
      derive "pleasure" from a police search and seizure, which is what
      took place under the Fourth Amendment.  Roadblocks must be conducted
      in accordance with our constitutional liberties.

      You report: "officers retrieved several guns and also made arrest
      from drugs to warrants as a result of these checks."  The Supreme
      Court has ruled that police may only set up roadblocks to check for
      drunk drivers or do a license/registration check (unless there is a
      specific crime that must urgently be solved, such as an impending
      terrorist attack). The police may not set up roadblocks to check for
      drugs or guns.  The Supreme Court ruled in the 2000 case City of
      Indianapolis v. Edmond that the city's drug interdiction checkpoint
      program was not justified by verifying licenses and registrations,
      where the primary purpose of the checkpoints was narcotics detection.

      Finally, a side note: We should not lump guns together with drugs as
      if they are the same thing.  Currently, it is illegal to carry a gun
      and generally only the criminals possess them.  I look forward to
      the day when the City Council will trust law-abiding citizens here
      in D.C., as they are trusted in most states, to carry guns for
      personal protection after passing a training course and background
      check.

      I applaud the hard, dangerous work of these police officers and only
      ask that they respect civil liberties as well (which they may be
      doing as there are only a few facts available).

      Kris Hammond

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Edmonds, Francine (EOM)"
      <francine.edmonds@...> wrote:

      > Commander,

      > This office is pleased at the checkpoints that were conducted on
      Eckington and T Street NE over the weekend.  It is our
      understanding; officer's retrieved several guns and also made arrest
      from drugs to warrants as a result of these checks.  I had the
      pleasure of being stopped, and even though it was known who I was, I
      still had to present my drivers license and registration.  That
      showed the passengers in my vehicle and me, that your officers take
      no chances, and that is what is needed.
      * * *