Safety Tips (Robbery)
The best way to protect yourself from a street robbery is to reduce your exposure to potentially being victimized. Thieves will typically take advantage of persons that appear to be unaware of their surroundings. The basic rules of prevention are to be alert and sensible. If possible, please consider the following:
1. Avoid displaying or being distracted by your electronic devices (I-pad, I-phone, etc.). These devices are hot targets for robbers.
2. Always be aware of your surroundings.
3. Do not walk alone during late hours. There is always strength in numbers.
4. Avoid walking in alleys, vacant lots, and short-cuts in secluded areas.
5. Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible. Walk close to the curb, avoiding doorways, bushes and potential hiding places.
6. Do not burden yourself with too many packages or items as you walk.
7. Avoid carrying large sums of cash.
8. Trust your instincts. If something or someone makes you uneasy, seek a safer location.
9. Know the neighborhoods where you travel.
The list is not all-inclusive, however, the suggested basic preventive measures decreases the chances of you becoming a victim. Please pass this on to your friends and neighbors. Awareness is essential and empowering.
Acting Lieutenant Randy Griffin
Metropolitan Police Department