Re: [MPD-5D] Continuous Canvassing by Alleged Meat Salesmen

  • Michael Bjornson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
      I like their meat and feel good about being able to haggle.  It reminds me of the old days.

      Mike

      On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM, <khenderson029@...> wrote:

      The van says Capital Meats and has brightly colored flames pictured on the exterior. There is a website address and no phone number.

      If this business is licensed then they should readily produce the license and proper identification upon request. I believe this is a reasonable request of anyone showing up on your doorstep to sell something. Too often dishonest people canvass a community only to come back later and commit burglaries or other fraudulent acts. I believe in erring on the side of caution. We have been burdened by criminals posing as Comcast and Pepco employees in the past, then stealing our property.

      Finally, this company should develop a better marketing plan to identify their customer base. It appears that some have had a pleasant experience; however, they continue to canvass my neighborhood and we've told them we don't want their products.

      Kathy Henderson

      From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
      Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 08:31:55 -0400
      Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Continuous Canvassing by Alleged Meat Salesmen

      We’re eager to help, and it will be very helpful if residents call 911 when they see this truck.

      This truck was mentioned at a community meeting last night so we’re aware of it.  Can someone provide a description of the truck so our officers can be on the lookout for it?

      Andy Solberg

      Commander, 5D

      Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
      With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier than ever.
      Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
      Learn more at
      www.ouc.dc.gov

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
        I must agree

        Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

        On Jun 2, 2012, at 8:52 AM, "imgoph" <hatchard@...> wrote:

        With all due respect, who is the "we" that doesn't want their products here? Apparently they are selling their product in the neighborhood, or they wouldn't waste their time there. While you personally may not like having them around, if what they're doing is legal, you don't have the right to tell them what to do or to speak for the thousands of people who live in your neighborhood.

        Geoff

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, khenderson029@... wrote:

        > The van says Capital Meats and has brightly colored flames pictured on the exterior. There is a website address and no phone number.
        >
        > If this business is licensed then they should readily produce the license and proper identification upon request. I believe this is a reasonable request of anyone showing up on your doorstep to sell something. Too often dishonest people canvass a community only to come back later and commit burglaries or other fraudulent acts. I believe in erring on the side of caution. We have been burdened by criminals posing as Comcast and Pepco employees in the past, then stealing our property.
        >
        > Finally, this company should develop a better marketing plan to identify their customer base. It appears that some have had a pleasant experience; however, they continue to canvass my neighborhood and we've told them we don't want their products.
        >
        > Kathy Henderson

        =
      • Alfred Nader
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
          Perhaps this is a conversation better suited for another listserv.  MPD have more important issues to worry about than people trying to make a living.

        • khenderson029@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
            Drug dealers claim they are trying to make a living. People selling stolen merchandise claim they are trying to make a living. Nuisance meat peddlers that refuse to display a license for vending or identification are indeed a public safety concern. A few years ago we had an ice cream truck operator selling drugs from the truck.

            This is a public forum for public safety concerns. My neighbors share this public safety concern. Championing the cause of questionable vendors is appropriate for another forum. The meat peddlers are in the same category as the North Carolina vendors selling their sofas on the sidewalk a few years ago. I am certain neighbors on Prospect Street, Kalmia Road or Unicorn Lane are not burdened by meat peddlers, sidewalk sofa sellers and the like. Neighbors in my community are more vigilant about reporting disorderly practices to our law enforcement partners and my community is better for that vigilance. We like our neighborhood quiet, clean, orderly and without questionable peddlers knocking on our doors.

            Kathy Henderson

            From: Alfred Nader <naderalfred@...>
            Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:24:27 -0400