Is it just a rumor?

  • ile schinder
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
      This may be an unsubstantiated rumor but I've heard that the people that were caught last week after robberies are ALREADY out in the street again.
      Is it real? Is it possible?
      It is my hope that whoever was caught remains behind bars. Burglars are terrorizing this neighborhood and their actions should not be taken lightly.
      Thank you for your input.
    • Steven Conn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
        Dear Ile, unfortunately the rumor most likely is true. :/ Overcrowded jails, lax judges, and aggressive lawyers = promptly released on bonds.

        My neighbors and I got sick of seeing the same criminals get arrested and then they'd wind up back on our block within 2-3 days. So we started writing Community Impact statements to the judges, letting them know how much the suspect damaged our quality of life, etc.

        I think we made a difference because we let the judges know that 1) we're watching and 2) won't tolerate a slap on the wrist.

        I believe Kathy Henderson leads the "Community Impact Statement group" for Ward 5 and Debbie Steiner heads it up for the Eckington area (if I'm not mistaken - but that was two years ago - the last time I was involved). :/

        Best regards, Steven

        ------------------------------
        On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 12:47 PM EDT ile schinder wrote:

        >This may be an unsubstantiated rumor but I've heard that the people that were caught last week after robberies are ALREADY out in the street again.
        >Is it real? Is it possible?
        >It is my hope that whoever was caught remains behind bars. Burglars are terrorizing this neighborhood and their actions should not be taken lightly.
        >Thank you for your input.

      • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
          There were 6 juveniles arrested in connection with burglaries and they have been released until trial.

          Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
          With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier than ever.
          Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
          Learn more at
          www.ouc.dc.gov

        • khenderson029@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
            I started 5D Court Watch in 2008 to give citizens a voice in shutting the door on repeat offenders. The DC Council passed legislation in 2010, affirming our right to submit anonymous community impact statements to judges, which are considered at sentencing. I am glad neighbors are stepping up and writing anonymous community impact statements and the judges are listening.

            Blank community impact statement forms are in the lobby of the Fifth District, next to the locked box for submitting the forms. I am revamping 5D Court Watch to make it even easier for any concerned citizen to write anonymous community impact statements to judges. We can help our law enforcement partners make our neighborhoods safer. Thank you to every citizen that has taken the time to write and submit an anonymous community impact statement.

            Kathy Henderson

            From: Steven Conn <steven_conn@...>
            Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 06:57:08 -0700 (PDT)