Continuous Canvassing by Alleged Meat Salesmen

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2012
      Good Afternoon:

      Individuals from Capital Meats continuously canvass my neighborhood attempting to sell meat from their truck. No one is buying from them and they become irritated when you ask them to show identification. The truck is often parked in the middle of the street and it does not have a phone number on the truck, though they do advertise accepting Visa, MasterCard and EBT. Because they refuse to show identification it is possible they are canvassing the community for some illegal purpose. We are not buying whatever they are selling and find their presence here suspicious.

      We would appreciate officers following up to ask them for their identification and license to peddle meat on the streets. If they cannot produce or refuse to produce their identification and license they should be directed to cease and desist with their meat peddling. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

      Kathy Henderson
    • Josh Culling
      Message 2 of 14 , May 31, 2012
        My wife recently bought a couple dozen steaks from these meat peddlers. They are delicious and affordable.

        I support their right to peddle meat in #Ward5.

        Josh
        Pardon brevity - currently mobile.

        On May 31, 2012, at 3:31 PM, khenderson029@... wrote:

        > Good Afternoon:
        >
        > Individuals from Capital Meats continuously canvass my neighborhood attempting to sell meat from their truck. No one is buying from them and they become irritated when you ask them to show identification. The truck is often parked in the middle of the street and it does not have a phone number on the truck, though they do advertise accepting Visa, MasterCard and EBT. Because they refuse to show identification it is possible they are canvassing the community for some illegal purpose. We are not buying whatever they are selling and find their presence here suspicious.
        >
        > We would appreciate officers following up to ask them for their identification and license to peddle meat on the streets. If they cannot produce or refuse to produce their identification and license they should be directed to cease and desist with their meat peddling. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
        >
        > Kathy Henderson

      • Alfred Nader
        Message 3 of 14 , May 31, 2012
          Ms. Henderson,

          Thank you for bringing up this very serious topic.  I've purchased from them before and I highly recommend their chicken.  I do NOT, however, recommend their meat products.  Because of my dislike of their meat products, I have never tried their seafood.

          They are actually selling their products out of a van, but it is completely covered in the company's logo. They do indeed take credit cards and cash.  Note that if you wish to haggle, they will lower their prices.

          I checked out this company online (www.capitalmeats.com) and they have been around for several years.

          So, other than their parking skills (I agree with you), they are "confirmed" meat sellers.

          Happy Shopping.

          Alfred

          Happy shopping.

          Alfred
        • Glenn White
          Message 4 of 14 , May 31, 2012
            I have purchased excellent meat and seafood without an EBT card, Kathy! So far all is well! Thanks!

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012

              We’re eager to help, and it will be very helpful if residents call 911 when they see this truck.

              This truck was mentioned at a community meeting last night so we’re aware of it.  Can someone provide a description of the truck so our officers can be on the lookout for it?

              Andy Solberg

              Commander, 5D

              Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
              With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier than ever.
              Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
              Learn more at
              www.ouc.dc.gov

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012

                Mrs. McNamara,

                We’re not trying to prevent hard-working folks from earning their living.

                We got a message from a concerned resident, and we’d like to check it out, just like we do with all the concerns we get from residents.

                If the company’s legit, then they should welcome our inquiries.  We routinely stop in and check on businesses in our community, and they seem to appreciate the attention.

                Also, please be aware that 911 is the number people should use in every instance when they want to contact the police.

                If you get me some specific information about your burglary in September, I will make sure we work on it.  Please email me directly with that information and I will forward it to the detectives and ensure that we get you a follow-up report.

                Andy Solberg

                --

                Sally McNamara

              • Matt Ashburn
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
                  FYI, Washington City Paper covered Capital Meats years ago: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/34357/porterhouse-calls

                  Long story short, the individual vendors don't bother to get vending licenses, and the compay disavows any liability for licensing because their products are sold by individual contractors who drive the vans.  I think enforcement tends to turn a blind eye, because they're still in operation.

                  I cannot attest to the quality of their products as I've never purchased from them, but they seem to do enough business to keep them around for years so they must be doing something right.

                  Matt

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
                      The van says Capital Meats and has brightly colored flames pictured on the exterior. There is a website address and no phone number.

                      If this business is licensed then they should readily produce the license and proper identification upon request. I believe this is a reasonable request of anyone showing up on your doorstep to sell something. Too often dishonest people canvass a community only to come back later and commit burglaries or other fraudulent acts. I believe in erring on the side of caution. We have been burdened by criminals posing as Comcast and Pepco employees in the past, then stealing our property.

                      Finally, this company should develop a better marketing plan to identify their customer base. It appears that some have had a pleasant experience; however, they continue to canvass my neighborhood and we've told them we don't want their products.

                      Kathy Henderson

                      From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
                      Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 08:31:55 -0400
                      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                      ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                    • imgoph
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
                        With all due respect, who is the "we" that doesn't want their products here? Apparently they are selling their product in the neighborhood, or they wouldn't waste their time there. While you personally may not like having them around, if what they're doing is legal, you don't have the right to tell them what to do or to speak for the thousands of people who live in your neighborhood.

                        Geoff

                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, khenderson029@... wrote:

                        > The van says Capital Meats and has brightly colored flames pictured on the exterior. There is a website address and no phone number.
                        >
                        > If this business is licensed then they should readily produce the license and proper identification upon request. I believe this is a reasonable request of anyone showing up on your doorstep to sell something. Too often dishonest people canvass a community only to come back later and commit burglaries or other fraudulent acts. I believe in erring on the side of caution. We have been burdened by criminals posing as Comcast and Pepco employees in the past, then stealing our property.
                        >
                        > Finally, this company should develop a better marketing plan to identify their customer base. It appears that some have had a pleasant experience; however, they continue to canvass my neighborhood and we've told them we don't want their products.
                        >
                        > Kathy Henderson

                      • Michael Bjornson

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
                            I must agree

                            Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

                            On Jun 2, 2012, at 8:52 AM, "imgoph" <hatchard@...> wrote:

                            With all due respect, who is the "we" that doesn't want their products here? Apparently they are selling their product in the neighborhood, or they wouldn't waste their time there. While you personally may not like having them around, if what they're doing is legal, you don't have the right to tell them what to do or to speak for the thousands of people who live in your neighborhood.

                            Geoff

                            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, khenderson029@... wrote:

                            > The van says Capital Meats and has brightly colored flames pictured on the exterior. There is a website address and no phone number.
                            >
                            > If this business is licensed then they should readily produce the license and proper identification upon request. I believe this is a reasonable request of anyone showing up on your doorstep to sell something. Too often dishonest people canvass a community only to come back later and commit burglaries or other fraudulent acts. I believe in erring on the side of caution. We have been burdened by criminals posing as Comcast and Pepco employees in the past, then stealing our property.
                            >
                            > Finally, this company should develop a better marketing plan to identify their customer base. It appears that some have had a pleasant experience; however, they continue to canvass my neighborhood and we've told them we don't want their products.
                            >
                            > Kathy Henderson

                            =
                          • Alfred Nader
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
                              Perhaps this is a conversation better suited for another listserv.  MPD have more important issues to worry about than people trying to make a living.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
                                Drug dealers claim they are trying to make a living. People selling stolen merchandise claim they are trying to make a living. Nuisance meat peddlers that refuse to display a license for vending or identification are indeed a public safety concern. A few years ago we had an ice cream truck operator selling drugs from the truck.

                                This is a public forum for public safety concerns. My neighbors share this public safety concern. Championing the cause of questionable vendors is appropriate for another forum. The meat peddlers are in the same category as the North Carolina vendors selling their sofas on the sidewalk a few years ago. I am certain neighbors on Prospect Street, Kalmia Road or Unicorn Lane are not burdened by meat peddlers, sidewalk sofa sellers and the like. Neighbors in my community are more vigilant about reporting disorderly practices to our law enforcement partners and my community is better for that vigilance. We like our neighborhood quiet, clean, orderly and without questionable peddlers knocking on our doors.

                                Kathy Henderson

                                From: Alfred Nader <naderalfred@...>
                                Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:24:27 -0400