Re: Another burglary arrest

  • brian.ions
    Message 1 of 9 , May 25 1:12 AM
      Well said, Steven... especially since the summer season for crime is just getting started.

      And thanks for the tips and advisories, Commander Solberg. This is extraordinary, bold behavior by these perps. I echo Steven's and others' congrats to 5D for these arrests!

      From these successful apprehensions, let the word go forth to all would-be perpetrators and copycats. We all need to remain relentlessly watchful, and we will.

      I'm sure neighbors bordering Eckington are breathing easier today, too.

      brian/
      504

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Steven Conn <steven_conn@...> wrote:

      Re: [MPD-5D] Another burglary arrest

      Dear Commander Solberg and 5D Team, CONGRATULATIONS on the awesome work and
      arrest! Great job!

      Hopefully y'all will work in close concert with the U.S. Attorney's Office to be
      sure these arrests are papered and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

      Hopefully, as warranted you'll be able to pass the suspects names and case #'s
      to the listserv and community so we may write community impact statements to the
      judges, to let them know we're watching, and will not tolerate criminals passing
      through the revolving door and being spit back onto the streets to wreak more
      havoc!

      Congratulations again and stay safe out there! Great job! Best regards, Steven

      ------------------------------
      On Thu, May 24, 2012 5:52 PM EDT Solberg, Andrew (MPD) wrote:

      >Today at about 9:50 am, police were called about three young men trying to
      force open a window in the back of a house in the 2200 block of 1st St., NW.
      The person who called 911 gave a good description of the young men and the
      direction they were headed when they left the house.

      >Our mountain bike officers, who have been deployed along both sides of North
      Capitol Street to combat recent burglaries, spotted one the men in the unit
      block of T St., NE, carrying a bag. This man was stopped and later, based on
      information we developed with the help of 5D detectives, the man was arrested
      and charged with burglary. Evidence was recovered from the man, and alert
      officers who were in the area checked trash cans along the route of travel and
      found additional items that had been taken from the burglary in a trash can in
      an alley.

      >I am proud of the work that Fifth District officers have done to arrest three
      men in two days for burglaries, but I want to tell the community that I believe
      that in today's arrest, it was absolutely the call to 911 that allowed us to
      capture this man and make an arrest.

      >We ask that you call 911 whenever you see, hear, or believe that unusual or
      suspicious activity is taking place. Do not confront persons you see, but
      retreat and call 911 and provide as much information as possible: clothing
      colors, physical descriptions with height and weight (or even a rough estimate
      at body build-short and heavy, muscular, tall and thin, etc.), hair color and
      length and style, any unusual characteristics you notice, direction of travel
      when you last saw him/them, and anything else that seems relevant.

      >Today's burglary happened in the rear of a house that was open to the
      alley-i.e., no fence or garage, no gates, no deterrent factors, and it seems
      that the suspects were not afraid to commit this crime in the rear of a busy
      street at mid-morning in a wide-open area behind a house.

      >We are working very hard to catch the persons who have been committing these
      burglaries, but I want to again ask for your help: call 911, please, when you
      think we should come and check things out.

      >Andy Solberg
      >Commander, 5D
      ><http://www.sustainable.dc.gov>
      >Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
      >With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier
      than ever.
      >Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
      >Learn more at www.ouc.dc.gov<http://www.ouc.dc.gov>

    • Debbie Smith-Steiner
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25 3:26 AM
        You and your team are truly appreciated!!  Keep up the GREAT work.

        "a man is only as good as his word.  For nothing else has He that will determine his fate in life's living".
        Reverend Dr. James Coleman

      • amjohnsona@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25 5:12 AM
          Good Job 5D!!!

          Did 5D apprehend the other two young men trying to force open a window in the back of a house in the 2200 block of 1st St., NW? If not, should we be on the look out for these guys?

          Thank you for all you do in keeping our neighborhoods safe.

          Thanks
          AMJ

          From: Tim <timclarkdc@...>
          Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 17:56:15 -0400
          To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
          Cc: Fifth District (MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com)<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Another burglary arrest

          This is great news!

          Tim Clark
          Anc5c05

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , May 25 12:43 PM

            We got only one of the three.  Yes, we still ask that in every case, you call 911 when you see someone or something suspicious.

            Andy Solberg

            From: Tim <timclarkdc@...>

            Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 17:56:15 -0400