Re: Clean and Green DC

  • lanciaq
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17 10:22 AM
      It might also help to demand, upon a store's liquor license renewal
      period, to ask for clear bags rather than black or brown bags
      (through a voluntary agreement which I think they must abide by).
      While the police may still be able to stop people when they suspect
      they are hiding their alcoholic beverage, it is easier when they can
      see right through the bag. I also encourage everyone to call 311
      when they spot "street drinking parties". They police have been
      effective in responding when this has been done in the past.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)"
      <kathy.henderson@...> wrote:

      > Dear Caro,
      >

      > I agree with your post. When I moved to my community in 1998, I
      discovered
      > that sidewalk drinking parties were quite commonplace. I rallied my
      > community against tolerating this type of behavior by walking with
      neighbors
      > and our police officers as an "Orange Hat" participant. In 1999, I
      also
      > organized the largest "Orange Hat" rally in the District's
      history. At one
      > point, individuals drinking alcohol and consuming drugs were doing
      so on a
      > sofa they had placed in the middle of a vacant lot. Our "Orange
      Hat" group
      > and the police changed this practice quickly. We are no longer
      plagued by
      > this behavior because we made it clear that will not tolerate it.
      >

      > Sincerely,
      >

      > Kathy Henderson, 5B10
      >

      > _____

      Behalf Of
      > Caro Alcuaz
      > Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:49 AM
      > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Clean and Green DC
      >

      > I have a suggestion:
      >
      > A lot of the litter I see are empty alcoholic beverage
      containers. I do not
      > think that too many people drink inside thier homes, go out of
      thier houses,
      > and throw thier contaners on the street and sidewalk, The case I
      believe is
      > that there are people consuming alcohol in public who dispose of
      thier
      > containers improperly.
      >
      > My point is, call 311 to report people in drinking in public
      places if you
      > haven't already been doing so. They may not get there in time, but
      > hopefully the city will be forced to do something about if they
      have
      > numerous reports that this is going on.
      >
      > Not only will this lessen litter, it will also decrease children's
      exposure
      > to alcohol and the sometimes improper behavior which slowly becomes
      > acceptable to the impressionable.
      >
      > I was informed by a police officer that policemen can ask to see
      containers
      > hidden in plastic/paper bags. Also, some people transfer alcoholic
      > beverages to cups, sometimes drinking with straws to pretend that
      it is a
      > non-alcoholic drink. the police officer also told me that this
      does not
      > prevent the police from determing the contents.
      >
      > _____

      <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman8/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.
      com/evt