Clean and Green DC

  • mpd5d_coordinator
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16, 2006
      Good Morning All,

      From the Office of the Clean City, "Working towards a clean and green
      Washington, DC"

      City services available at 202 727-1000 from 7 am to 7 pm www.dc.gov:

      "Report illegal dumping" also include the vehicle's tag number.
      Also call 727 -1000 to report

      Street or alley lights needing repair
      Street or alley needing cleaning
      Removal of signs / posters
      Get a list of licensed solid waste haulers
      Graffiti removal
      Removal of abandoned vehicles
      Sidewalk repair
      Street sign repair
      Guidance on commercial recycling plans
      Tree trimming or planting
      Dead tree or stump removal
      Litter can installation and service
      Parking enforcement
      List of licensed recycling haulers

      Office of the Clean City
      724-8967
      cleancity@...
      www.cleancity.dc.gov

      Fayette Vaughn-Lee
      5D Community Outreach Coordinator
    • Caro Alcuaz
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2006
        I have a suggestion:

        A lot of the litter I see are empty alcoholic beverage containers.  I do not think that too many people drink inside thier homes, go out of thier houses, and throw thier contaners on the street and sidewalk,  The case I believe is that there are people consuming alcohol in public who dispose of thier containers improperly.

        My point is, call 311 to report people in drinking in public places if you haven't already been doing so.  They may not get there in time, but  hopefully the city will be forced to do something about if they have numerous reports that this is going on.

        Not only will this lessen litter, it will also decrease children's exposure to alcohol and the sometimes improper behavior which slowly becomes acceptable to the impressionable.

        I was informed by a police officer that policemen can ask to see containers hidden in plastic/paper bags.  Also, some people transfer alcoholic beverages to cups, sometimes drinking with straws to pretend that it is a non-alcoholic drink.  the police officer also told me that this does not prevent the police from determing the contents.

      • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2006

          Dear Caro,

          I agree with your post. When I moved to my community in 1998, I discovered that sidewalk drinking parties were quite commonplace. I rallied my community against tolerating this type of behavior by walking with neighbors and our police officers as an “Orange Hat” participant. In 1999, I also organized the largest “Orange Hat” rally in the District’s history. At one point, individuals drinking alcohol and consuming drugs were doing so on a sofa they had placed in the middle of a vacant lot. Our “Orange Hat” group and the police changed this practice quickly. We are no longer plagued by this behavior because we made it clear that will not tolerate it.

          Sincerely,

          Kathy Henderson, 5B10

          Message 4 of 4 , May 17, 2006
            It might also help to demand, upon a store's liquor license renewal
            period, to ask for clear bags rather than black or brown bags
            (through a voluntary agreement which I think they must abide by).
            While the police may still be able to stop people when they suspect
            they are hiding their alcoholic beverage, it is easier when they can
            see right through the bag. I also encourage everyone to call 311
            when they spot "street drinking parties". They police have been
            effective in responding when this has been done in the past.

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)"
            <kathy.henderson@...> wrote:

            > Dear Caro,
            >

            > I agree with your post. When I moved to my community in 1998, I
            discovered
            > that sidewalk drinking parties were quite commonplace. I rallied my
            > community against tolerating this type of behavior by walking with
            neighbors
            > and our police officers as an "Orange Hat" participant. In 1999, I
            also
            > organized the largest "Orange Hat" rally in the District's
            history. At one
            > point, individuals drinking alcohol and consuming drugs were doing
            so on a
            > sofa they had placed in the middle of a vacant lot. Our "Orange
            Hat" group
            > and the police changed this practice quickly. We are no longer
            plagued by
            > this behavior because we made it clear that will not tolerate it.
            >

            > Sincerely,
            >

            > Kathy Henderson, 5B10
            >

            > _____

            Behalf Of
            > Caro Alcuaz
            > Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:49 AM
            > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Clean and Green DC
            >

            > I have a suggestion:
            >
            > A lot of the litter I see are empty alcoholic beverage
            containers. I do not
            > think that too many people drink inside thier homes, go out of
            thier houses,
            > and throw thier contaners on the street and sidewalk, The case I
            believe is
            > that there are people consuming alcohol in public who dispose of
            thier
            > containers improperly.
            >
            > My point is, call 311 to report people in drinking in public
            places if you
            > haven't already been doing so. They may not get there in time, but
            > hopefully the city will be forced to do something about if they
            have
            > numerous reports that this is going on.
            >
            > Not only will this lessen litter, it will also decrease children's
            exposure
            > to alcohol and the sometimes improper behavior which slowly becomes
            > acceptable to the impressionable.
            >
            > I was informed by a police officer that policemen can ask to see
            containers
            > hidden in plastic/paper bags. Also, some people transfer alcoholic
            > beverages to cups, sometimes drinking with straws to pretend that
            it is a
            > non-alcoholic drink. the police officer also told me that this
            does not
            > prevent the police from determing the contents.
            >
            > _____

            <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman8/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.
            com/evt