Re: [MPD-5D] Illegal Dumping business in 2100 Block of Upshur Street NE

  • Bernat, Edward (MPD)
    Message 1 of 13 , May 7, 2012
      I will go by and check on this tonight

      Lt. Bernat
      Lieutenant Edward R. Bernat
      Metropolitan Police Department
      Fifth District
      Cell: 202-359-4240
      Email: edward.bernat@...

      From: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>; Schaefer, James (MPD)
      Sent: Tue May 08 00:19:03 2012
      Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Illegal Dumping business in 2100 Block of Upshur Street NE

      Bruce, I am passing along to our Motor Carrier Unit for additional follow up.

      Cathy L. Lanier
      Chief of Police
      Washington, D.C.
      (202) 727-4218

      On May 8, 2012, at 12:03 AM, "Bruce Marshall" <bamesquire@...> wrote:

      There are several large trucks full of commercial debris parking daily in the 2100 block of Upshur Street. NE.  They bring smaller trucks, back them up on the wrong side of the street and then transfer the trash, while completely blocking the alley.  The trash sometimes sits there all night and all weekend, rain or shine.  When they do dump during the morning, the process just starts again around 4:30PM.  Clearly it is illegal for this commercial activity to happen on a residential street. One of the trucks also parks within three feet of the alley every night making it a hazard to drive out of the alley into the roadway.
      Is it possible to assist in resolving this environmental nightmare?  We would love to celebrate Mothers Day without the smell or sight of trash.  Calls to 311 have not been helpful.  Thank you in advance for your help.

      Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
      With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier than ever.
      Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
      Learn more at
      www.ouc.dc.gov

    • Gattison, Wanda (OUC)
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2012

        Good morning All,

        I have escalated your concerns,  and should be able to advise of planned actions shortly.

        Wanda Royster Gattison

        Public Information Officer

        Office of Unified Communications | www.ouc.dc.gov

        2720 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE |Washington, DC  20032

        Ph: (202) 730-0503 | Mobile: (202) 494-3332

        Email:  wanda.gattison@...

        Visit OUC on Facebook | Follow OUC on Twitter

[...]

      • brian.ions
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2012
          Chief, what is the Motor Carrier Unit?

          And who are residents suppose to call if they see apparent illegal vendors from Maryland or elsewhere regularly and illegally using public space (parking/ blocking alleys and pedestrian walkways)?

          Is there a general DC license or permit such violators are required to show or display to even be doing business in DC?

          brian/
          504

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

          > Bruce, I am passing along to our Motor Carrier Unit for additional follow up.
          >
          > Cathy L. Lanier
          > Chief of Police
          > Washington, D.C.
          > (202) 727-4218
          >

          > On May 8, 2012, at 12:03 AM, "Bruce Marshall" bamesquire@...<mailto:bamesquire@...> wrote:
          >

          > There are several large trucks full of commercial debris parking daily in the 2100 block of Upshur Street. NE. They bring smaller trucks, back them up on the wrong side of the street and then transfer the trash, while completely blocking the alley. The trash sometimes sits there all night and all weekend, rain or shine. When they do dump during the morning, the process just starts again around 4:30PM. Clearly it is illegal for this commercial activity to happen on a residential street. One of the trucks also parks within three feet of the alley every night making it a hazard to drive out of the alley into the roadway.
          > Is it possible to assist in resolving this environmental nightmare? We would love to celebrate Mothers Day without the smell or sight of trash. Calls to 311 have not been helpful. Thank you in advance for your help.
          >

          > <http://www.sustainable.dc.gov>
          > Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
          > With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier than ever.
          > Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
          > Learn more at www.ouc.dc.gov<http://www.ouc.dc.gov>

        • Manlapaz, Wilfredo (MPD)

            And who are residents suppose to call if they see apparent illegal vendors from Maryland or elsewhere regularly and illegally using public space (parking/ blocking alleys and pedestrian walkways)?

            Is there a general DC license or permit such violators are required to show or display to even be doing business in DC?

            brian/
            504

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com , " Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

            > Bruce, I am passing along to our Motor Carrier Unit for additional follow
            up.

            > Cathy L. Lanier
            > Chief of Police
            > Washington ,
            w:st="on">D.C.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2012
              Terrific information. Thanks, Officer.

              I refer to apparent landscape vendors with long bed trucks (AND long trailers attached) using DC alleys and DC sidewalks to transit their wide-throw riding mowers -- UNBELIEVABLY while the mower is still on and presumably its blade is still spinning.

              As a public safety issue, I can't believe that would be safe and legal operation of commercial equipment anywhere-- but especially in DC's densely populated urban environment.

              brian

              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2012

                Brian and all,

                Call 911 to report any such activity, and we’ll come and address the situation.

                The Motor Carrier Unit enforces traffic regulations relating primarily to large trucks.

                Andy Solberg

                Commander, 5D

                Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
                With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier than ever.
                Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
                Learn more at
                www.ouc.dc.gov

                And who are residents suppose to call if they see apparent illegal vendors from Maryland or elsewhere regularly and illegally using public space (parking/ blocking alleys and pedestrian walkways)?

                Is there a general DC license or permit such violators are required to show or display to even be doing business in DC?

                brian/
                504

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com , " Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

                > Bruce, I am passing along to our Motor Carrier Unit for additional follow
                up.

                > Cathy L. Lanier
                > Chief of Police
                > Washington ,
                w:st="on">D.C.
                > (202) 727-4218
                >

                > On May 8, 2012, at 12:03 AM, "Bruce Marshall" bamesquire@...<mailto:bamesquire@...> wrote:
                >

                > There are several large trucks full of commercial debris parking daily in
                the 2100 block of Upshur Street. NE. They bring smaller trucks, back them up on the wrong side of the street and then transfer the trash, while completely blocking the alley. The trash sometimes sits there all night and all weekend, rain or shine. When they do dump during the morning, the process just starts again around 4:30PM. Clearly it is illegal for this commercial activity to happen on a residential street. One of the trucks also parks within three feet of the alley every night making it a hazard to drive out of the alley into the roadway.
                > Is it possible to assist in resolving this environmental nightmare? We
                would love to celebrate Mothers Day without the smell or sight of trash. Calls to 311 have not been helpful. Thank you in advance for your help.

                > <http://www.sustainable.dc.gov>
                > Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
                > With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now
                easier than ever.
                > Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android
                Marketplace.
                > Learn more at www.ouc.dc.gov<http://www.ouc.dc.gov>

              • Matt

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2012
                    Good evening Mr. Marshall,

                    Update from 311 - Per DPW concerning the 2100 block of Upshur Street, NE, they have forwarded your concerns on to the Environmental Crimes Investigator, Ms. Chavis. She can be reached at 202-645-7190.

                    Concerning the question below about the new DC311 app, its like calling 911 vs. 311. If you need a police response, call 911. If you would like to put in a non-emergency  request for a city service, utilizing the new app is very effective and convenient.

                    Best,
                    Wanda Gattison
                    Public Informaton Officer
                    Office of Unified Communications
                    911/311

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2012
                      Thank you Commander Solberg and Captain Manlapaz (with apologies for the demotion).

                      Maybe I'll take a pic next time. The operator looked pretty young. There probably is no statute for reckless driving with a lawn mower on a public sidewalk ... but maybe there ought to be.
                      :D

                      brian/
                      504

                      P.S. -- I should take my own advice and get know who's who at our local cop shop... (with these links I have posted in the LINKS SECTION of the BrooklandGLBT listserv)...

                      *Police/MPD 5th District (5D) Contacts (For Emergencies, Dial 911)
                      MPD's 5th District Roster (So. of Taylor St. & Michigan Ave). Get to know our local cop shops.
                      http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239,Q,545975,mpdcNav_GID,1538,.asp

                      *Police/MPD 4th District (4D) Contacts (For Emergencies, Dial 911)

                      MPD's 4th District Roster (No. of Taylor St. & Michigan Ave). Get to know our local cop shops.
                      http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239,Q,545520,mpdcNav_GID,1537,.asp

                      *Police / MPD Gay & Lesbian Liaison Unit (GLLU) - (For Emergencies, Dial 911)

                      Metropolitan Police Dept of DC GLBT Liaison Unit. The Metropolitan Police Department's Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit (GLLU) is staffed by openly gay, lesbian and transgender members of the department and their associates.
                      http://www.gllu.org/

                      ... or with MPD-5D's home page listserv info....

                      Andrew "Andy" Solberg,Commander
                      Fifth District Station
                      1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE
                      Washington, DC 20002
                      202 698-0111 phone
                      202 724-8649 fax

                      Capt. Wilfredo Manlapaz, PSA 501 & 502
                      wilfredo.manlapaz@... 202 698-0118

                      Capt. Daniel Aurigemma, PSA 506 & 507
                      daniel.aurigemma@... 202 698-0120

                      Capt. Jeff Brown, PSA 503 & 504 & 505
                      jeff.brown@... 202 698-0018

                      Capt. Marvin Lyons, Administrative Office
                      marvin.lyons@... 202 698-0288

                      PSA 501
                      Lt. Roger Roch - rodger.roch@... 202 698-0268

                      PSA 502
                      Lt. Ronald Wright - ronald.wright@... 202 698-0261

                      PSA 503
                      Lt. Corinne Hughes - corinne.hughes@... 202 698-0273

                      PSA 504
                      Lt. Edward Bernat- edward.bernat@... 202 698-0275

                      PSA 505
                      Lt. Gary Durand - gary.durand@... 202 698-0262

                      PSA 506
                      Lt. Patricia Janifer - patricia.janifer@... 202 698-0272

                      PSA 507
                      Lt. Timothy Haselden - timothy.haselden@... 202 698-0277

                      Fayette Vaughn-Lee, 5D Community Outreach Coordinator
                      fayette.vaughn-lee@... 202 698-0188

                      5D Police Website: http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/info/districts/5th/main.shtm
                      5D Map: http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/info/districts/pdf/5Dmap

                      Guidelines: http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1242,q,567080,mpdcNav_GID,1523,mpdcNav,|.asp

                      PPS - Whatever your rank, we appreciate all that the hardworking pros at MPD do for us every day!

                      RE: [MPD-5D] Re: Illegal Dumping business... (and others??)

                      --

                      Re: Illegal Dumping business... (and others??)
                      I refer to apparent landscape vendors with long bed trucks (AND long trailers attached) using DC alleys and DC sidewalks to transit their wide-throw riding mowers -- UNBELIEVABLY while the mower is still on and presumably its blade is still spinning.

                      As a public safety issue, I can't believe that would be safe and legal operation of commercial equipment anywhere-- but especially in DC's densely populated urban environment.

                      brian

                      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Manlapaz, Wilfredo (MPD)" <wilfredo.manlapaz@...> wrote:

                      > The Motor Carrier Unit inspects large commercial trucks/carriers for safety/moving violations. With regards to illegal parking, blocking alleys, walkways, please call 911. With regards to permitting on public space, this is handled by the Dept of Transportation.

                    • FamiliesUnited
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 11, 2012

                        Chief Lanier, I want to thank you and the members of your team for stopping the illegal dumping business that was operating on Upshur Street NE.  In less than a week you have solved an issue that I have been trying to resolve for many months.  Great job. I am very proud of my city government and of you.

                        Bruce

                        Sent from my Kindle Fire

[...]

                      • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 12, 2012
                          No problem. The Motor Carrier Unit did a lot of enforcement up there. Hopefully the truckers got the message.

                          Cathy L. Lanier
                          Chief of Police
                          Washington, D.C.
                          (202) 727-4218