Re: [MPD-5D] Illegal Dumping business in 2100 Block of Upshur Street NE

  • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
    Message 1 of 13 , May 7, 2012
      Bruce, I am passing along to our Motor Carrier Unit for additional follow up.

      Cathy L. Lanier
      Chief of Police
      Washington, D.C.
      (202) 727-4218

      On May 8, 2012, at 12:03 AM, "Bruce Marshall" <bamesquire@...> wrote:

      There are several large trucks full of commercial debris parking daily in the 2100 block of Upshur Street. NE.  They bring smaller trucks, back them up on the wrong side of the street and then transfer the trash, while completely blocking the alley.  The trash sometimes sits there all night and all weekend, rain or shine.  When they do dump during the morning, the process just starts again around 4:30PM.  Clearly it is illegal for this commercial activity to happen on a residential street. One of the trucks also parks within three feet of the alley every night making it a hazard to drive out of the alley into the roadway.
      Is it possible to assist in resolving this environmental nightmare?  We would love to celebrate Mothers Day without the smell or sight of trash.  Calls to 311 have not been helpful.  Thank you in advance for your help.

      Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
      With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier than ever.
      Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
      Learn more at
      www.ouc.dc.gov

    • Bernat, Edward (MPD)
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7, 2012
        I will go by and check on this tonight

        Lt. Bernat
        Lieutenant Edward R. Bernat
        Metropolitan Police Department
        Fifth District
        Cell: 202-359-4240
        Email: edward.bernat@...

[...]

      • Gattison, Wanda (OUC)
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2012

          Good morning All,

          I have escalated your concerns,  and should be able to advise of planned actions shortly.

          Wanda Royster Gattison

          Public Information Officer

          Office of Unified Communications | www.ouc.dc.gov

          2720 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE |Washington, DC  20032

          Ph: (202) 730-0503 | Mobile: (202) 494-3332

          Email:  wanda.gattison@...

          Visit OUC on Facebook | Follow OUC on Twitter

[...]

        • brian.ions
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2012
            Chief, what is the Motor Carrier Unit?

            And who are residents suppose to call if they see apparent illegal vendors from Maryland or elsewhere regularly and illegally using public space (parking/ blocking alleys and pedestrian walkways)?

            Is there a general DC license or permit such violators are required to show or display to even be doing business in DC?

            brian/
            504

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

            > Bruce, I am passing along to our Motor Carrier Unit for additional follow up.
            >
            > Cathy L. Lanier
            > Chief of Police
            > Washington, D.C.
            > (202) 727-4218
            >

            > On May 8, 2012, at 12:03 AM, "Bruce Marshall" bamesquire@...<mailto:bamesquire@...> wrote:
            >

            > There are several large trucks full of commercial debris parking daily in the 2100 block of Upshur Street. NE. They bring smaller trucks, back them up on the wrong side of the street and then transfer the trash, while completely blocking the alley. The trash sometimes sits there all night and all weekend, rain or shine. When they do dump during the morning, the process just starts again around 4:30PM. Clearly it is illegal for this commercial activity to happen on a residential street. One of the trucks also parks within three feet of the alley every night making it a hazard to drive out of the alley into the roadway.
            > Is it possible to assist in resolving this environmental nightmare? We would love to celebrate Mothers Day without the smell or sight of trash. Calls to 311 have not been helpful. Thank you in advance for your help.
            >

            > <http://www.sustainable.dc.gov>
            > Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
            > With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier than ever.
            > Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
            > Learn more at www.ouc.dc.gov<http://www.ouc.dc.gov>

          • Manlapaz, Wilfredo (MPD)

              And who are residents suppose to call if they see apparent illegal vendors from Maryland or elsewhere regularly and illegally using public space (parking/ blocking alleys and pedestrian walkways)?

              Is there a general DC license or permit such violators are required to show or display to even be doing business in DC?

              brian/
              504

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com , " Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

              > Bruce, I am passing along to our Motor Carrier Unit for additional follow
              up.

              > Cathy L. Lanier
              > Chief of Police
              > Washington ,
              w:st="on">D.C.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2012
                Terrific information. Thanks, Officer.

                I refer to apparent landscape vendors with long bed trucks (AND long trailers attached) using DC alleys and DC sidewalks to transit their wide-throw riding mowers -- UNBELIEVABLY while the mower is still on and presumably its blade is still spinning.

                As a public safety issue, I can't believe that would be safe and legal operation of commercial equipment anywhere-- but especially in DC's densely populated urban environment.

                brian

                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2012

                  Brian and all,

                  Call 911 to report any such activity, and we’ll come and address the situation.

                  The Motor Carrier Unit enforces traffic regulations relating primarily to large trucks.

                  Andy Solberg

                  Commander, 5D

                  Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
                  With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now easier than ever.
                  Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android Marketplace.
                  Learn more at
                  www.ouc.dc.gov

                  And who are residents suppose to call if they see apparent illegal vendors from Maryland or elsewhere regularly and illegally using public space (parking/ blocking alleys and pedestrian walkways)?

                  Is there a general DC license or permit such violators are required to show or display to even be doing business in DC?

                  brian/
                  504

                  --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com , " Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

                  > Bruce, I am passing along to our Motor Carrier Unit for additional follow
                  up.

                  > Cathy L. Lanier
                  > Chief of Police
                  > Washington ,
                  w:st="on">D.C.
                  > (202) 727-4218
                  >

                  > On May 8, 2012, at 12:03 AM, "Bruce Marshall" bamesquire@...<mailto:bamesquire@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > There are several large trucks full of commercial debris parking daily in
                  the 2100 block of Upshur Street. NE. They bring smaller trucks, back them up on the wrong side of the street and then transfer the trash, while completely blocking the alley. The trash sometimes sits there all night and all weekend, rain or shine. When they do dump during the morning, the process just starts again around 4:30PM. Clearly it is illegal for this commercial activity to happen on a residential street. One of the trucks also parks within three feet of the alley every night making it a hazard to drive out of the alley into the roadway.
                  > Is it possible to assist in resolving this environmental nightmare? We
                  would love to celebrate Mothers Day without the smell or sight of trash. Calls to 311 have not been helpful. Thank you in advance for your help.

                  > <http://www.sustainable.dc.gov>
                  > Download DC311 and Start Reporting Today!
                  > With the new DC311 free smartphone app, reporting an issue to 311 is now
                  easier than ever.
                  > Currently available in the iTunes App Store and in the Android
                  Marketplace.
                  > Learn more at www.ouc.dc.gov<http://www.ouc.dc.gov>

                • Matt

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2012
                      Good evening Mr. Marshall,

                      Update from 311 - Per DPW concerning the 2100 block of Upshur Street, NE, they have forwarded your concerns on to the Environmental Crimes Investigator, Ms. Chavis. She can be reached at 202-645-7190.

                      Concerning the question below about the new DC311 app, its like calling 911 vs. 311. If you need a police response, call 911. If you would like to put in a non-emergency  request for a city service, utilizing the new app is very effective and convenient.

                      Best,
                      Wanda Gattison
                      Public Informaton Officer
                      Office of Unified Communications
                      911/311

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 8, 2012
                        Thank you Commander Solberg and Captain Manlapaz (with apologies for the demotion).

                        Maybe I'll take a pic next time. The operator looked pretty young. There probably is no statute for reckless driving with a lawn mower on a public sidewalk ... but maybe there ought to be.
                        :D

                        brian/
                        504

                        P.S. -- I should take my own advice and get know who's who at our local cop shop... (with these links I have posted in the LINKS SECTION of the BrooklandGLBT listserv)...

                        *Police/MPD 5th District (5D) Contacts (For Emergencies, Dial 911)
                        MPD's 5th District Roster (So. of Taylor St. & Michigan Ave). Get to know our local cop shops.
                        http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239,Q,545975,mpdcNav_GID,1538,.asp

                        *Police/MPD 4th District (4D) Contacts (For Emergencies, Dial 911)

                        MPD's 4th District Roster (No. of Taylor St. & Michigan Ave). Get to know our local cop shops.
                        http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239,Q,545520,mpdcNav_GID,1537,.asp

                        *Police / MPD Gay & Lesbian Liaison Unit (GLLU) - (For Emergencies, Dial 911)

                        Metropolitan Police Dept of DC GLBT Liaison Unit. The Metropolitan Police Department's Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit (GLLU) is staffed by openly gay, lesbian and transgender members of the department and their associates.
                        http://www.gllu.org/

                        ... or with MPD-5D's home page listserv info....

                        Andrew "Andy" Solberg,Commander
                        Fifth District Station
                        1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE
                        Washington, DC 20002
                        202 698-0111 phone
                        202 724-8649 fax

                        Capt. Wilfredo Manlapaz, PSA 501 & 502
                        wilfredo.manlapaz@... 202 698-0118

                        Capt. Daniel Aurigemma, PSA 506 & 507
                        daniel.aurigemma@... 202 698-0120

                        Capt. Jeff Brown, PSA 503 & 504 & 505
                        jeff.brown@... 202 698-0018

                        Capt. Marvin Lyons, Administrative Office
                        marvin.lyons@... 202 698-0288

                        PSA 501
                        Lt. Roger Roch - rodger.roch@... 202 698-0268

                        PSA 502
                        Lt. Ronald Wright - ronald.wright@... 202 698-0261

                        PSA 503
                        Lt. Corinne Hughes - corinne.hughes@... 202 698-0273

                        PSA 504
                        Lt. Edward Bernat- edward.bernat@... 202 698-0275

                        PSA 505
                        Lt. Gary Durand - gary.durand@... 202 698-0262

                        PSA 506
                        Lt. Patricia Janifer - patricia.janifer@... 202 698-0272

                        PSA 507
                        Lt. Timothy Haselden - timothy.haselden@... 202 698-0277

                        Fayette Vaughn-Lee, 5D Community Outreach Coordinator
                        fayette.vaughn-lee@... 202 698-0188

                        5D Police Website: http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/info/districts/5th/main.shtm
                        5D Map: http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/info/districts/pdf/5Dmap

                        Guidelines: http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1242,q,567080,mpdcNav_GID,1523,mpdcNav,|.asp

                        PPS - Whatever your rank, we appreciate all that the hardworking pros at MPD do for us every day!

                        RE: [MPD-5D] Re: Illegal Dumping business... (and others??)

                        --

                        Re: Illegal Dumping business... (and others??)
                        I refer to apparent landscape vendors with long bed trucks (AND long trailers attached) using DC alleys and DC sidewalks to transit their wide-throw riding mowers -- UNBELIEVABLY while the mower is still on and presumably its blade is still spinning.

                        As a public safety issue, I can't believe that would be safe and legal operation of commercial equipment anywhere-- but especially in DC's densely populated urban environment.

                        brian

                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Manlapaz, Wilfredo (MPD)" <wilfredo.manlapaz@...> wrote:

                        > The Motor Carrier Unit inspects large commercial trucks/carriers for safety/moving violations. With regards to illegal parking, blocking alleys, walkways, please call 911. With regards to permitting on public space, this is handled by the Dept of Transportation.

                      • FamiliesUnited
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 11, 2012

                          Chief Lanier, I want to thank you and the members of your team for stopping the illegal dumping business that was operating on Upshur Street NE.  In less than a week you have solved an issue that I have been trying to resolve for many months.  Great job. I am very proud of my city government and of you.

                          Bruce

                          Sent from my Kindle Fire

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 12, 2012
                            No problem. The Motor Carrier Unit did a lot of enforcement up there. Hopefully the truckers got the message.

                            Cathy L. Lanier
                            Chief of Police
                            Washington, D.C.
                            (202) 727-4218