Re: Daily Crime Report - 5D -- lessons learned thread

  • brian.ions
    Message 1 of 3221 , May 4, 2012
      That's the right approach, Matt. Put lots of deterrence tools in your crime prevention toolbox. It all helps.

      No single tool or tool type is a magic bullet. But not every cam (or its warning signage) has to be entirely 'true' to deter. Perps aren't stupid. Those who are relative amateurs get caught more frequently than those who give careful consideration to their dastardly craft. 'Successful' perps try to avoid the obvious risks.

      So increasing their risk factors-- whether real or perceived by potential perps-- will likely cause a perp to move on to an easier house (or biz targets)-- preferably, avoiding entire blocks and neighborhoods where the neighbors look proactive and cooperative regarding their crime deterrence efforts.

      Never underestimate a perp. Professional criminals care about their personal appearance and ability to blend-in, their targets and targets' habits, lighting (both inside and outside a house/biz)/ parked cars, both in driveways and off-street/ whether a house is likely to be occupied, lines of sight to nearby neighbors, streets, well-used parking lots (potential witnesses), and are those neighbors' houses occupied, their ability to hide and get in and out quickly, their means and routes of easy escape/ fencing barriers/ access to alleys, how many pedestrians are walking through the block, how well does MPD patrol it, etc., etc.

      A word about "video" surveillance systems...

      Surveillance cam systems recording (even wirelessly, now) individual frames at a user-selectable time interval (1 frame per second, or split second, e.g.) to a computer(s) are much lower cost today than the older *video* technology systems. They can be motion activated (w/ sensitivity selectable, too), and their low-light images in average urban nighttime lighting are really good, too.

      They are better in court, as well. It's much harder for a defense lawyer to impeach 90 individual photo jpg frames, all time-stamped to the second, covering-- say for example, over a critical 3 minute time period, than it is to impeach a single video DVR segment of same.

      For an overview of that kind of system, here's a link to one vendor of security cams software for Mac, but I'm sure there's plenty of comparable sources for Windows...

      [Note: MPD does not promote this or any particular security company]
      http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/

      brian/
      504

      Correction to that previous Crime Doctor online video seminars link...

      <%20http://www.crimedoctor.com/personal-safety-videos.htm>
      http://www.crimedoctor.com/personal-safety-videos.htm
      <x-msg://300/%20http://www.crimedoctor.com/personal-safety-videos.htm>

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Matt <studermw@...> wrote:

      Re: [MPD-5D] Daily Crime Report - 5D -- lessons learned thread
      Those sound like great ideas, but unfortunately with these types of
      crimes in our neighborhood on the rise, homeowners are going to have to
      get more sophisticated and realize that the criminals are also becoming
      more intelligent. It seems simple to kick someone's door in, but these
      guys seem smart enough to figure out when people aren't home. I'm in
      the process now of installing a video surveillance system for the
      exterior of my house with signs in front and back stating that anyone on
      the property is under video surveillance. Has anyone else done this?
      Does MPD have any statistics on whether or not this is an effective
      deterrent? At the very least I'd take some satisfaction in turning the
      video over to MPD to help catch whoever is breaking in...

      On May 2, 2012, at 10:31 PM, brian.ions wrote:
      Great questions, Matt, and good advice, Daniella. Getting side yard
      windows/ doors covered, too, if applicable, is important.

      Another consideration.. folks everywhere often value private back yards
      and patios-- using privacy fencing, high, dense hedge and tree foliage.
      But in urban areas, privacy from your neighbors' lines of sight also
      means the perpetrators have privacy, too-- providing them additional
      time and less risk to rip their victims off. Greater visibility
      generally results in greater security. So give thoughtful consideration
      to trimming or repositioning your landscaping.

      Add all night, or very late night lighting, too. Lighting is one of the
      least expensive, most effective things you can do to deter perps.
      Position dual floodlights on corners if that will enable you to put
      light on two sides of your house. Or you might want to consider
      position fixtures near higher-up, accessible windows for easier bulb
      replacement.

      Find more good crime-fighting information from a security expert here...

      http://www.crimedoctor.com/security_advice.htm
      <http://www.crimedoctor.com/security_advice.htm>

      http://www.crimedoctor.com/personal-safety-videos.htm
      <x-msg://300/%20http://www.crimedoctor.com/personal-safety-videos.htm>

      brian/
      504

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Q_PVTOKSwwSQPjalmRhL7rrg7kryaroO6o78zREOWeO7pG-eNB8pi6CvXdTnFz> ,
      Daniella Gibbs Leger <daniellagibbsleger@...> wrote:

      > Last year, my side door was kicked in, at 3pm, despite my alarm.
      Needless
      > to say, we've put up steel doors or bars on all of our doors.
      >
      > On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM, ijshere ijshere@... wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > This certainly seems like the MO for the Eckington Burglar as my
      next door
      > > neighbor's basement apartment was broken into yesterday!
      > >
      > > This rash of burglaries in broad daylight is disturbing!
      > >

      > > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      I6Eu3jfU8DM-iVKSBMEBCQWQKLFltP39IiWo6KNhLhYhND_SilNxkg9HRIEg> , Matt
      studermw@ wrote:

      > > > Thank you so much! As a result I'm going to reinforce my basement
      door
      > > ASAP...

      computer
      > > laptops, (2) bikes, several collector coins, and bike accessories.
      The

    • mpd.reports@...
      Message 3221 of 3221 , Aug 23, 2015

        PSA: 501
        CCN: 15130824
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 11:03
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft From Auto 2
        BLOCK: 100 - 199 BLOCK OF SEATON PLACE NW
        LOCATION: Victim`S Vehicle
        START DT: 08/22/2015 00:01
        END DT: 08/22/2015 11:00
        PSA: 501
        CCN: 15130927
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 14:49
        OFFENSE: Theft/Other
        METHOD: Theft 2nd Degree
        BLOCK:
        LOCATION:
        START DT: 08/22/2015 13:30
        END DT: 08/22/2015 13:59
        PSA: 501
        CCN: 15131007
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 16:48
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft From Auto 2
        BLOCK: 2 - 99 BLOCK OF P STREET NW
        LOCATION: Victim`S Vehicle
        START DT: 08/22/2015 13:00
        END DT: 08/22/2015 16:48
        PSA: 503
        CCN: 15130634
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 01:33
        OFFENSE: Robbery
        METHOD: Robbery
        BLOCK: 2800 - 2999 BLOCK OF CHANNING STREET NE
        LOCATION: Sidewalk
        START DT: 08/22/2015 01:10
        END DT: 08/22/2015 01:13
        PSA: 503
        CCN: 15130777
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 08:46
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft From Auto 2
        BLOCK: 2000 - 2099 BLOCK OF JACKSON STREET NE
        LOCATION: Victim`S Vehicle
        START DT: 08/21/2015 17:00
        END DT: 08/22/2015 08:30
        PSA: 503
        CCN: 15130786
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 09:24
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft 2 F/Auto: Motor Vehicle Parts & Accessories
        BLOCK: 2000 - 2199 BLOCK OF TAYLOR STREET NE
        LOCATION: Highway/Road/Alley/Street
        START DT: 08/21/2015 07:45
        END DT: 08/21/2015 20:00
        PSA: 503
        CCN: 15130840
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 11:19
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft From Auto 2
        BLOCK: 2200 - 2299 BLOCK OF KEARNY STREET NE
        LOCATION: Victim`S Vehicle
        START DT: 08/21/2015 11:19
        END DT: 08/22/2015 10:19
        PSA: 503
        CCN: 15131157
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 23:34
        OFFENSE: Theft/Other
        METHOD: Theft 2nd Degree
        BLOCK: 3000 - 3133 BLOCK OF RHODE ISLAND AVENUE NE
        LOCATION: Convenience Store
        START DT: 08/22/2015 23:12
        END DT: 08/22/2015 23:15
        PSA: 505
        CCN: 15130610
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 01:45
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft From Auto 2
        BLOCK: 1800 - 2299 BLOCK OF NEW YORK AVENUE NE
        LOCATION: Public
        START DT: 08/22/2015 01:31
        END DT: 08/22/2015 01:31
        PSA: 505
        CCN: 15130684
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 03:19
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft From Auto 2
        BLOCK: 1500 - 1699 BLOCK OF MONTANA AVENUE NE
        LOCATION: Victim`S Vehicle
        START DT: 08/22/2015 01:53
        END DT: 08/22/2015 03:19
        PSA: 505
        CCN: 15130867
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 11:56
        OFFENSE: Motor Vehicle Theft
        METHOD: Unauthorized Use Of Vehicle
        BLOCK: 900 - 999 BLOCK OF RHODE ISLAND AVENUE NE
        LOCATION: Customer Area
        START DT: 08/22/2015 11:49
        END DT: 08/22/2015 11:53
        PSA: 505
        CCN: 15131000
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 22:40
        OFFENSE: Theft/Other
        METHOD: Theft 2nd Degree
        BLOCK: 2300 - 2499 BLOCK OF WASHINGTON PLACE NE
        LOCATION: Convenience Store
        START DT: 08/22/2015 16:55
        END DT: 08/22/2015 17:05
        PSA: 505
        CCN: 15131026
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 17:47
        OFFENSE: Theft/Other
        METHOD: Theft 2 (Theft F/Building)
        BLOCK: 1000 - 1111 BLOCK OF BRENTWOOD ROAD NE
        LOCATION: Convenience Store
        START DT: 08/22/2015 17:40
        END DT: 08/22/2015 17:46
        PSA: 505
        CCN: 15131066
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 22:00
        OFFENSE: Assault W/Dangerous Weapon
        METHOD: Adw -- Gun
        BLOCK: 1500 - 1521 BLOCK OF ADAMS STREET NE
        LOCATION: Alley
        START DT: 08/22/2015 18:00
        END DT: 08/22/2015 18:25
        PSA: 505
        CCN: 15131141
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 22:28
        OFFENSE: Theft/Other
        METHOD: Theft 2nd Degree
        BLOCK: 1250 - 1399 BLOCK OF NEW YORK AVENUE NE
        LOCATION: Shelter-Mission/Homeless
        START DT: 08/22/2015 19:30
        END DT: 08/22/2015 20:00
        PSA: 506
        CCN: 15130579
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 00:20
        OFFENSE: Assault W/Dangerous Weapon
        METHOD: Adw -- Gun
        BLOCK: 1344 - 1385 BLOCK OF FLORIDA AVENUE NE
        LOCATION: Sidewalk
        START DT: 08/22/2015 00:10
        END DT: 08/22/2015 00:15
        PSA: 506
        CCN: 15130651
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 02:30
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft From Auto 2
        BLOCK: 1 - 99 BLOCK OF PATTERSON STREET NE
        LOCATION: Victim`S Vehicle
        START DT: 08/21/2015 23:30
        END DT: 08/22/2015 02:11
        PSA: 506
        CCN: 15130771
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 08:24
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft From Auto 2
        BLOCK: 1 - 99 BLOCK OF PATTERSON STREET NE
        LOCATION: Victim`S Vehicle
        START DT: 08/21/2015 19:00
        END DT: 08/22/2015 08:20
        PSA: 506
        CCN: 15130796
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 09:35
        OFFENSE: Theft F/Auto
        METHOD: Theft From Auto 1
        BLOCK: 100 - 199 BLOCK OF N STREET NE
        LOCATION: Sidewalk
        START DT: 08/22/2015 09:00
        END DT: 08/22/2015 09:15
        PSA: 506
        CCN: 15130972
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 15:27
        OFFENSE: Robbery
        METHOD: Assault W/Intent To Rob
        BLOCK: 1301 - 1329 BLOCK OF WEST VIRGINIA AVENUE NE
        LOCATION: Construction Site
        START DT: 08/22/2015 15:15
        END DT: 08/22/2015 15:20
        PSA: 506
        CCN: 15131062
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 19:00
        OFFENSE: Theft/Other
        METHOD: Theft 2 (Theft F/Building)
        BLOCK: 1301 - 1398 BLOCK OF 2ND STREET NE
        LOCATION: Convenience Store
        START DT: 08/22/2015 18:30
        END DT: 08/22/2015 18:35
        PSA: 507
        CCN: 15130716
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 04:50
        OFFENSE: Theft/Other
        METHOD: Shoplifting
        BLOCK: 2500 - 2525 BLOCK OF BENNING ROAD NE
        LOCATION: Convenience Store
        START DT: 08/22/2015 04:17
        END DT: 08/22/2015 04:18
        PSA: 507
        CCN: 15131167
        RPT DATE: 08/22/2015 23:38
        OFFENSE: Theft/Other
        METHOD: Theft 2nd Degree
        BLOCK:
        LOCATION: Taxi-Cab
        START DT: 08/22/2015 23:18
        END DT: 08/22/2015 23:36

        KEY:

        OFFENSE - Crime Classification.

        BLOCK - Block where the crime occurred.

        START DT - Earliest datetime the incident could have occurred.

        END DT - Latest datetime the incident could have occurred.

        ADW - Assault With A Deadly Weapon

        F&V - Force and Violence

        PBS - Pocketbook Snatch

        P/P - Pickpocket