4-wheel ATVs/dirt bikes legal in D.C.?

  • b_on_t
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2012
      This afternoon, maybe around 5:00 PM or so (not really sure of the time) a group of several, perhaps up to a dozen 4-wheel ATV and dirt bike riders rode down Franklin Street NE, heading west towards 4th Street NE. It didn't look like they were traveling at high speed but there were a couple of guys that were guilty of "exhibition" (e.g. popping wheelies, revving engines, etc). Some had passengers. All appeared to be wearing helmets.

      I wasn't really bothered by their presence but I thought that these kinds of vehicles are not legal in D.C. and oftentimes not legal for street use just about everywhere. I couldn't tell if these had any sort of vehicle tags or registration. However, with such a large group riding a fairly busy street, maybe they are legal provided they've been properly tagged and registered?

      I guess my question is this: are these types of vehicles legal for any kind of use in D.C.? And if they are not, is there any desire for a citizen to report it?
    • Matt Ashburn
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2012

[...]

      • Dorrough, Jonathan (MPD)
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2012
          All ATVs and dirt bikes are completely illegal in DC. Please report any use of these vehicles by calling 911.

          See http://dmv.dc.gov/pdf/NontraditionalMotorVehiclechart.pdf for a good summary of laws governing non-traditional vehicles.

          Sergeant Jon Dorrough
          Metropolitan Police Department
          Washington, D.C.
          Fifth District

          Celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Emancipation Day!
          “Commemorating the Struggle for Freedom, Justice and Equality”
          Monday, April 16, 2012 – District of Columbia Official Holiday – Parade, Festival, Fireworks

          Learn more at
          www.emancipation.dc.gov