Neighborhood Comes Together to Make a Change

  • Geovani A Bonilla
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2012

      Saturday, March 31st Neighborhood Clean Up and Planting organized by the Bates Area Civic Association was a total success.

      Neighbors and Ward 5 Council Member Candidate, Kenyan McDuffie and many volunteers from McDuffie’s campaign picked up over 20 bags of trash and helped beautify street tree boxes. Clean up included the Florida Avenue Park (lead by Jon Hasse and volunteers) as well as P St, First St , Bates St, and Q St. We also had an opportunity to meet Office Clark who was patrolling on his mountain bike.

      DPW’s Helping Hands Program provided our community with trash bags, brooms, rakes and shovels. DPW also picked up the trash at three pre-identified sites, removing over 60 pounds of trash and debris from our streets and park.

      Thank you to all the neighbors, Kenyan McDuffie and his campaign volunteers and DPW for this great day.

      Geovani A. Bonilla

      Bates Area Civic Association

      Email: gbonilla@...

    • khenderson029@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
        Clean streets do not support crime, underscoring the "Broken Windows Theory". When we began conducting regular community clean ups years ago we collected 20-25 bags of trash per session. During recent clean ups we are lucky if we get five. My community is cleaner and safer and our quality of life is steadily improving.

        I applaud the Bates area neighbors for this effort and encourage you to keep up the good work.

        Kathy Henderson

        From: "Geovani A Bonilla" <gbonilla@...>
        Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:05:47 -0400