Re: mini motorcycles/mini scooters

  • scott_pointer
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
      And the irony is that they will break into our homes to steal the
      money to buy these things to drive us crazy!

      'Pocket bikes' drive new debate and laws
      By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY
      Tiny motorcycles have become a rage among teens - and also a source
      of rage for communities across the USA that are banning or
      restricting their use.
      "Pocket bikes," or "mini motos," usually 15-18 inches high and
      capable of going 35 mph, have joined motorized skateboards and
      scooters on the danger list in many states, towns and cities that
      consider them a speedy nuisance.
      In recent weeks:
      • Arlington Heights, Ill., gave preliminary approval to an ordinance
      that would ban motorized scooters and skateboards. Police in the
      village of 77,000 northwest of Chicago got 56 complaints about them
      last year, up from 16 in 2002, says Chief Gerald Mourning. "It's
      also a safety issue," he says.
      • The New Hampshire Department of Safety has asked the state
      Legislature to ban motorized scooters and pocket bikes on streets.
      • La Porte, Texas, restricted the use of motorized scooters to
      daylight hours and to streets with posted speed limits under 30 mph
      after two boys lost control of their scooter and were struck and
      injured by a car.
      • Lenexa, Kan., stopped short of banning the devices outright.
      Instead, the City Council voted to allow motorized skateboards on
      sidewalks but banned them on streets. Pocket bikes and other
      motorized vehicles are prohibited on all public property.
      • Monroe, Wash., following the lead of some adjoining communities,
      passed an ordinance restricting operation of motorized scooters to
      those ages 16 and older. The scooters can be used only during
      daylight hours, and riders must wear helmets.
      • Several Arizona communities, including Tempe, Chandler and Mesa,
      have considered banning motorized scooters. Both Phoenix and Tucson
      outlawed them last year.
      Emergency room doctors across the nation treated 10,015 injuries
      connected to motorized gas- or battery-powered scooters from July 1,
      2003, to June 30, 2004, says Patty Davis, spokeswoman for the
      Consumer Product Safety Commission (news - web sites). The
      commission is an independent federal agency charged with protecting
      the public from risk of injury.
      About one-third of those injured were younger than 15, Davis says.
      And since October 1998, she says, 49 motorized-scooter riders have
      died.
      New Hampshire state Rep. John Flanders, a former sheriff's deputy
      and sponsor of his state's proposal, says: "I had a near-collision
      with one of those folks out on the main highway. The kids have no
      fear. The people that are afraid are the people that are driving
      cars. I wouldn't want that on my conscience, hitting a young fellow."