Shooting 18th and D NE

  • anna
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2012
      Not too long ago, I inquired why we didn't have the police presence we had when we were part of 1st Dist. The response was that we would have the same presence as before.
      No, we do not! I have yet to see police patrolling the area-I am around all different times of day and there is quite a difference from the time we were switched to 5th District.
      The shooting the other day is a result of this-people are hanging around in the streets,etc more than ever around here. I understand that there is no ordinance for this but a police presence might help the situation some. It would be really nice to see MPD a little more before there are more shootings and an innocent person gets hurt.
      Thank you.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2012

        Anna and all,

        We are out there in your community.  I am not sure if you are in Rosedale or Kingman Park , but we have six officers assigned to foot or mountain bike beats in the area, with two during the day and four in the evening.  This is in addition to the regular patrol officers who patrol PSA 507.

        I drive through this area frequently, probably an hour or so a day, and whenever I am there I see cops all the time.  So, I am not sure why you are not seeing us, but we certainly are here.

        I realize that when this area was part of the First District, supervisors there apparently kept stationary cars along Oklahoma Avenue and near 16th and E Sts.  I think the community got used to seeing police cars in these areas, and knew that there would always be a car there.

        I do not favor this approach to deploying officers.  We encourage the officers to move about, and to ride through the alleys in their area as frequently as they can.  So, while you may not see an omni-present police car on a nearby corner, we are patrolling your neighborhood on foot, mountain bike, scooter, and car.

        Last week’s shooting is an unfortunate event, but nevertheless we are there.

        Andy Solberg

        Commander, 5D

        Join Mayor Gray’s One City • One Hire - 10,000 Jobs Campaign
        “Putting District Residents Back to Work – One Hire at a Time”
        Learn more at http://onecityonehire.org