Countdown Underway To March 1 Start Of 2012 Residential Street Sweeping Season; Enforcement Begins Mon., March 12

  • Twine, Kevin (DPW)
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2012

      Countdown Underway To March 1 Start Of 2012 Residential Street Sweeping Season; Enforcement Begins Mon., March 12

      Motorists are urged to note the days and times on the signs because some signs were changed since last year.

      The 2012 residential street sweeping season begins Thursday, March 1, announced the DC Department of Public Works today.  Signs are posted that identify the days of the week and hours of the day when parking restrictions will be in effect so the sweepers can clean the streets effectively.  Parking enforcement of residential sweeping violations will begin Monday, March 12.

      “The residential street sweeping program is among our most successful operations to keep DC streets clean,” said DPW Director William O. Howland, Jr.  “We have expanded it over the years to accommodate more and more residents willing to move their cars to allow the sweepers access to the curb lane where debris and pollutants collect.  We also want to make sure commuters and visitors are as aware as our residents that the parking restrictions apply to all motorists.”

      Mr. Howland noted that the sweeping program runs from March 1 through October 31 and some signs have been changed since last year’s sweeping season.  “This year, we are revising signs in residential neighborhoods with commercial interests to support their customers’ access to curbside parking spaces during the day.  For example, DPW posted new times in the 1400 block of P Street, NW where Whole Foods and several restaurants form a commercial island within a residential neighborhood.”

      He cautioned motorists to avoid parking along sweeping routes before that day’s restriction ends.  “A supervisor follows behind the sweeper and may require the block to be swept again, so no one should park until the end of the posted sweeping period,” he said.

      For more information about street sweeping, go to http://1.usa.gov/DPWstreetalley.

      Kevin B. Twine

      Staff Assistant

      Office Of The Director

      Department of Public Works

      2000 14th Street, NW

      6th Floor

      Washington, DC 20009

      Phone: 202-671-2593

      DPW Main: 202-673-6833

      Fax: 202-671-0642

      Kevin.Twine@...

      www.dpw.dc.gov

      Visit us on Facebook!

      Follow us on Twitter

      Join Mayor Gray’s One City • One Hire - 10,000 Jobs Campaign
      “Putting District Residents Back to Work – One Hire at a Time”
      Learn more at http://onecityonehire.org