300 Block of Seaton Place block meeting

  • Sunny James
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23 6:42 PM
      Good evening to all,

      Thank you to our 5D Commander, Andrew Solberg, and his team of officers and detectives for being present en masse at this evening's block meeting--the very first for the 300 block of Seaton Place NE. It was a great show of support for what the residents of the block are trying to accomplish. Most everyone got Commander Solberg's card. USE IT!

      Also, it was good to see the officers of the bike unit. I'm glad that they had an opportunity to introduce themselves. They were engaged and clearly wanted us to know that they are going to support us.

      And to all the residents, sorry, I'd rather call you all neighbors, it was a great turn out. Thanks for bringing your questions and concerns (and kids) and taking a step toward making us all safer.

      The most straight forward take away from tonight's discussion:If you see something, say something. Sounds trite, I know, but you have to Call 911. The officers made it very clear, stopping the crime starts with us. Make it difficult--a real pain in the ass--for the crooks to do business on our block. Call 911

      Be attentive to your surroundings, don't flash your electronics either on the street or in your windows. And for newly acquired stuff, cut up the boxes and the telltale wrapping and dispose of in the supercan. (Don't advertise your new 42" TV by leaving the box on top of the supercan.)

      My personal concern for the block is how absolutely dark it is. On a regular basis there are only two or three front entry way lights on at night. At first I thought the front porches lacked light fixtures, because I'd never lived on such a dark block. But last night I actually looked at each house on the block. And 99% do have porch fixtures. My home unfortunately does not.Dirty deeds are even easier under cover of darkness. Wouldn't it send a great message to the crooks that we care enough to illuminate our block, the front of our homes. Let's shed some light on the night.

      Yes, I understand that lighting has nothing to do with the number of the burglaries that have taken place during the day

      A neighbor asked if tonight's meeting would be the last. Most certainly not was my response. I mentioned perhaps getting together again around mid-March? Again something informal, right on a neighbors front steps or even in the street again? The weather will be warmer and hopefully with the help of our neighbors and the 5D commander and officers we can talk about how quiet (and well lit) the block has been. How about Thursday March 15th or Friday 16th. Any suggestions. BTW, this time it'll be just the neighbors, but the officers are always welcome.

      Again, thanks to all for taking the time to come out and support your neighbor(hood).

      Sunny
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23 8:19 PM
        Ms. James,

        I want to thank you, and other neighbors, for organizing a great gathering and for getting 5D and the community together.

        I cannot recall a time when a group of that size gathered in the middle of their block to meet with the police and discuss community safety.

        The detective sergeant who was going to attend had been told the meeting was at 5D, so I am sorry he was not there to help out. That's my fault.

        The detective who is the lead investigator in all burglaries is Thomas Stein, who I think some of you met this past Sunday when he knocked on doors in the block. His email, and that of his supervisors, is included here.

        Please call 911 when you see any thing or person you believe suspicious. This will help a great deal.

        Thanks to all neighbors who came to the meeting and we hope to see you more often on your block.

        We will wait to learn the date of the next meeting and see you then.

        Andy Solberg
        Commander, 5D

        Join Mayor Gray’s One City • One Hire - 10,000 Jobs Campaign
        “Putting District Residents Back to Work – One Hire at a Time”
        Learn more at http://onecityonehire.org

[...]

        The Sunny James Show
        www.thesunnyjamesshow.net
        The Small Voice in the Nation's Capital

        "I seldom struggle for words. I often use wrong words, mean words, and at times good words. But I always have words. I just keep on talking."

        On iTunes at http://bit.ly/9GvhLY
        Occasionally on youtube at http://bit.ly/gPXCTc
        also at:
        twitter: @sunny_james