RE: [MPD-5D] Re: Prostitutes and Johns

  • Vaughn-Lee, Fayette (MPD)
    Message 1 of 24 , May 1, 2006

      A walk through will serve as the catalyst to get our neighbors involved.  Let’s target this problem with what we have, us our ingenuity, our drive to rid our community of this issue.  I’d like to develop a partnership with the community, the police and other agencies to impact this neighborhood crime and disorder problem.  I think if we combined our efforts we would be able to design strategies that address this crime triangle the offender (prostitutes & johns), the victims (us & prostitutes), the Location ( 1st street ).  I think if we knew why 1st street is conducive to prostitutes we may be able to address the issues, create a plan, and take the needed actions that support with the revitalization or our community.  (Today prostitutes & johns, tomorrow drugs sales on our streets… the possibilities are endless)

      Your Community needs you, if you drop out now the rest of us will have to fill the void.

      TR call me, sounds like you have good insight on this issues you are an important component in helping us find solutions to this problem and we could use your help. Fayette Vaughn-lee 202 698-0188

      Message 2 of 24 , May 1, 2006
        We have been having "walk throughs" in this area for the twenty years I have lived here, and nothing changes. in terms of drug use and prostition...this has been a drug area for over sixty years, perhaps even longer.  Remember Hanover of the 1980's?  IMHO, we need to take a new approach.

        Message 3 of 24 , May 1, 2006

          Yes I remember, the walk through is just a means to galvanize our community. Policing for Prevention is the approach to get the job done - with Focused Law Enforcement (directed patrol, tactical initiatives, and follow-up investigations), Neighborhood Partnerships (collaboratively applying resources to repeat incidents to prevent them from reoccurring), and Systemic Prevention (projects which address the underlying causes and conditions of this issue) we intend to collapse this “crime triangle”.

          Your Community needs you - call me, sounds like you have good insight on this issues you are an important component in helping us find solutions to this problem and we could use your help. Fayette Vaughn-lee 202 698-0188

> [...]

          >   http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20060227-124629-2750r.htm
          >
          >   There is nothing worse than finding the discarded trash from
          these encounters in the yard.

          > silent_warrior246 <silent_warrior246@...> wrote:
          >   Need information on how to address cars stopping on my block
          with
          > prostitutes performing sex acts and leaving their trash after they
          are
          > done.  Have had confrontations before.  Tag numbers, Photos what
          can I
          > do.
          >

          > Policing for Prevention

          >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > Please visit www.eckingtonblog.blogspot.com
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously

        • TruxtonResident
          Message 4 of 24 , May 1, 2006
            I'm sorry but I don't pay the high taxes that I do in DC to have to go out and do my own police, drug enforcement, drug addiction counseling, and prostitution clean-up. I am not trained IN ANY WAY to deal with these issues -- that's why we have the MPD and our DC government officials.

            And where are the churches in our neighborhood .. they don't seem to be concerned about their neighborhood at all ... maybe if they gave more consideration about actually helping their community and less about how they can convince the Mayor to allow them to illegally double park on Sundays, you'd get more of the "community" involvement you're clamoring for.

            I already take my life in my own hands EVERY DAY that I walk in my neighborhood ... why would I want to put myself and family in even greater risk letting this criminal element know that I'm in the Orange Hat brigade trying to get them off my streets.

            How many years have we been complaining about this area? You've had plenty of time for a plan to be developed and enacted ... WE NEED ACTION not more planning meetings on why the drug dealers/prostitutes are in our neighborhood ... we know why ... because it is a safe haven for them to do their business. They were out at 8:00 AM SUNDAY morning selling their drugs! No cops patroling the area = safe haven.  We were told we had foot patrols in our area ... however no one has seen a single one walk the beat along 1st St in the afternoon or mornings when we are all walking our dogs. We see what goes on in our neighborhoods and who comes and goes ... and we know who isn't there.

            You've had your walk-throughs, you've heard from us, now, let's see the action based upon that information.

            Message 5 of 24 , May 1, 2006
              The point is, all of these methods have been tried and have failed.  Who are the "we" who intend to "collapse the "crime triangle"?  We need to change our thinking on the entire drug use issue in America.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 1, 2006

                Silent_warrior246 needed information on how to address cars stopping on their block with prostitutes performing sex acts and leaving their trash after they are
                done.  Silent_warrior246 also wrote that “have had confrontations before.  Tag numbers, Photos what can I do.”

                Will you join your neighbors on Wednesday May 3, 2006 @ 6:30 PM at the corner of First and O streets NE.?  I am Fayette Vaughn-Lee Community Outreach Coordinator for the 5th  District, we are the people who are affected, the goal is to develop strategies that address the main issues What is it about 1st street that is conducive to prostitution.  How can we List serv members and people witnessing the problem help Silent_warrior246?

                If any have the will to assist Silent_warrior246, and the others community members, please come.

> [...]

                  >   http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20060227-124629-2750r.htm
                  >
                  >   There is nothing worse than finding the discarded trash from
                  these encounters in the yard.

                  > silent_warrior246 <silent_warrior246@...> wrote:
                  >   Need information on how to address cars stopping on my block
                  with
                  > prostitutes performing sex acts and leaving their trash after they
                  are
                  > done.  Have had confrontations before.  Tag numbers, Photos what
                  can I
                  > do.
                  >

                  > Policing for Prevention

                  >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  Service.

                  > Please visit www.eckingtonblog.blogspot.com

                  > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously

                • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 1, 2006

                    Good Afternoon All,

                    I understand the frustration and cynicism citizens may feel when faced with daily criminal activity in the neighborhood. I encourage every able bodied citizen residing in the affected area to participate in the walk through, challenging the current paradigm and communicating that citizens will not stand idly by and allow others to abuse the community. It is important to unite with police and community partners to take an active stand against obvious criminal activity. I know this strategy works, I have used it as part of a larger action plan and my community is safer as a result.

                    Sincerely,

                    Kathy Henderson, 5B10