Sat night on Newton St NE

  • bklyn244
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      There was another in the long string of excessively loud parties at
      the CUA student houses at 1036 and 1038 Newton NE on Saturday night.

      One of my neighbors must have called MPD, because around 9:40pm I was
      looking out the front door and saw a squad car drive the wrong way up
      Newton. There were hordes of kids swarming up and down the street. The
      car stopped right in the middle of the block, with its lights
      flashing. The group of kids directly in front of my house were
      drinking and pouring more drinks, and they didn't even seem to notice
      the squad car. The officer didn't do anything, didn't get out of the
      car or even open the window, and didn't say anything to the students.
      They completely ignored him. He drove up the block, turned around,
      drove back down the block. Two other squad cars followed, without
      stopping. The students paid no attention, and the noise continued
      until about 4 a.m., as it frequently does on this street. And Sunday
      morning, our yards were full of trash.

      Can't the police do more than drive by? If they're going to respond to
      our complaints, why don't they do something when they get here? Do you
      have any advice on how we can stop this nuisance? Maybe this seems
      unimportant to folks plagued by serious crime in their neighborhoods,
      but it is a major "quality of life" issue here, and it has gone on for
      a very long time. The semester is almost over, and we're hoping for a
      quiet summer. But what do we do in September when they come back?

      Thanks,
      Kee
      Newton St NE