Addiction and Public Safety (formly Prostitutes and Johns)

  • melinafzal
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2006
      Kathy and et al.,

      Now the discussion has evolved into a larger topic, I thought it was appropriate
      to change the subject line. I am no sure if this is the right forum for this discussion,
      let alone if people want their inboxes clogged with such a heated issue. However,
      I am glad that this is being discussed b/c it is such pertinent issues in many of
      our lives. Rarely is it genuinely discussed. I warn you, this is a hot issue for
      me, I am going to be on my soap box for a minute.

      We all can agree that we want to live in healthy communities where we aren't picking
      up trash, having to deal w/ our property being broken into, and enjoying our
      nieghborhoods.
      There a many different approaches on how to create a healthy community. Inorder
      for this to happen it needs to be an effort of community members working together
      and getting the support from the police and govt.

      Addiction is a multi layered and complex issue. There are many different approachs
      to treating it. The core of the issue is that addiction is a symptom of self-worth
      and esteem, which can require intense treatment for an extended period of time.
      When dealing with substance use, you are dealing with homelessness, HIV/AIDS, &
      mental health issues.

      Addiction Recovery Adminsitration is a broken system. Along with our Detox
      infrastructure.
      These are systems in place that ideally should work when they are being managed
      correctly. But they are not. Many of the people who do seek treatment don't get
      it in time, which becomes a deterrrent to seeking treatment later. The system is
      not set up for treatment on demand. How can the system improve when funding has
      been flat lined for several years, employees are burnt out, treatment centers are
      fighting to keep there doors open and we are already limited to treatment beds.
      I am not sure how effectively the system can be fixed from within the government
      when the mayoral candidates haven't address this issue or added it to their platform.
      (including V. Orange,who last year didn't feel drugs or HIV was an issues in his
      ward)

      I have worked with addicts, including sex workers (not prostitutes) for many years
      now, they want treatment, they want a better life, but don't know how to go about
      it and are scared...Treatment is asking people to le go of their defenses and look
      at the core of who they are. I don't know many people who are willing to do that
      anyway, why are we putting that expectation on them? Also, very rarely will a drug
      treatment center take a sex worker b/c of the stigma associated with the profession.

      As an additional note, life as a sex worker isn't easy. Often it starts when they
      are youths, who are looking for unconditional love, somewhere along the line they
      where abandoned. We owe it to our communities to support and nurture our youths
      about self esteem, educate them on safe sex, drugs, etc. and for them to take ownership
      of where they live as well.

      I invite you to visit a drug treatment center to get a broader understanding of
      the issues beyond the immediate front step. What we deal with on our streets is
      a piece of the larger problem. If you are interested in visiting a facility let
      me know I can facilitate that process. Also, take some time in DC public courts,
      that can be an eye opener to how big this problem is. Many of the cases are drug
      related. I am curious, how man drug related arrests are made in our ward? DC Appleseed
      Center for Law and Justice also put out a informative report last year on HIV in
      the city, there is a section which addresses the relation to substance use.

      Thank you for posting the link to Drug Policy Alliance. The intiative is called
      PreventionWorks Community Partners, we are a community group comprised of residents,
      providers and faith based looking to resolve the issues of substance use. Please get
      involved if you are interested in impacting drug treatment.

      I am glad on this list serve we are passionate about the topic...perhaps we can
      work together to hold our government accountable and come toogether to begin
      dialogueing around creating healthy community (ie orange hats, community gardens, etc.)
      which can impact the level of crime in the long run.

      Thanks
      Melina
    • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2006
        Melina,

        You rarely miss a PSA meeting, so I do not mind your soapbox stance and
        appreciate that it is generating a lively discussion. I am a registered
        addiction counselor so I do understand the issue. Citizens cannot allow
        dysfunctional individuals to take over a community because they may feel
        sympathy. We must use every available tool to hold people accountable for
        their actions. We can continue to discuss this matter later, if you wish.

        Sincerely,

        Kathy Henderson, 5B10

[...]

        Policing for Prevention
        Yahoo! Groups Links