RE: [MPD-5D] break-ins on Q Street NW [unit block]

  • Brown, Jeff (MPD)
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012

      You are absolutely correct in your assertion that officers need to check alleys and the rear of houses to detect and prevent crime.  We have in fact employed a variety of patrol methods to include Mountain Bike Patrols to supplement the patrol vehicles.  Footbeat officers are also being assigned to various areas recently experiencing an increase in crime.

      Capt. J. Brown

      5th District

      (202) 698-0121

      Join Mayor Gray at the One City Summit on February 11, 2012
      Let Your Voice Be Heard – Help the District become a more livable, vibrant, and inclusive city – for everyone.
      Open to all DC residents
      Sign up at www.onecitysummit.dc.gov

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012

        TG and all,

        For the past several weeks we have focused on burglaries on the east side of North Capitol Street in response to an increase there.

        Apparently our success in that effort has led to an increase in burglaries on the west side of North Capitol.

        We do have our officers patrolling the alleys on foot, in cars, and on mountain bike.

        All our officers in 5D are to ride or walk through at least ten alleys on every shift, and I know that residents in PSA 501 have seen an increase in alley patrols, as they have told us that when we see them in those alleys.

        We are also adding more footbeat officers into each PSA in 5D in an attempt to bring our officers into more direct contact with the residents of the neighborhoods where they work, exactly as you mention.

        I am confident you will see these officers and that they will effect positive change in the 5D communities.

        Andy Solberg

        Commander, 5D

        Sign up at www.onecitysummit.dc.gov