Re: [MPD-5D] Robbery 4th and R St NW 2/1/11

  • Wendy
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
      Not that I am condoning any type of violence
      But why was a female in an alley at almost 9 pm?
      In this day and age I just think all precautions should be taken for safety especially with the history of events in this neighborhood.
      ------------------------------
      On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 11:09 PM EST Bowles, Gregory J. wrote:

      >This area has become a super-hot-spot for this kind of activity in the last week. Is it appropriate for undercover agents to be placed in this area to resolve this problem as quickly as possible?

    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
        Why do they have to be anonymous?

        ------------------------------
        On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 7:34 AM EST khenderson029@... wrote:

        >What is the apprehended suspect's name? He belongs on the 5D Court Watch list; when he is found guilty I encourage residents to write ANONYMOUS community impact statements to the presiding judge.
        >
        >Kathy Henderson
        >Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

      • Wendy
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012

            Raymond King

            7-4-1989

            Sign up at www.onecitysummit.dc.gov

            From: " Manlapaz, Wilfredo (MPD)" <wilfredo.manlapaz@...>

            Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 22:59:25 -0500

            To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

            ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

            Cc: Kishter, Jacob (MPD)<jacob.kishter@...>

            Subject: [MPD-5D] Robbery 4th and R St NW 2/1/11

            Sign up at www.onecitysummit.dc.gov

          • Erica Best
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
              How about instead of blaming the victim, we blame the people that robbed her?

              On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Wendy <wendy_lewis2@...> wrote:

              Not that I am condoning any type of violence
              But why was a female in an alley at almost 9 pm?
              In this day and age I just think all precautions should be taken for safety especially with the history of events in this neighborhood.
              ------------------------------
              On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 11:09 PM EST Bowles, Gregory J. wrote:

              >This area has become a super-hot-spot for this kind of activity in the last week. Is it appropriate for undercover agents to be placed in this area to resolve this problem as quickly as possible?

            • James T. Engelhardt
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                Are you serious with that question???

                Not that I am condoning any type of violence
                But why was a female in an alley at almost 9 pm?
                In this day and age I just think all precautions should be taken for safety especially with the history of events in this neighborhood.
                ------------------------------
                On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 11:09 PM EST Bowles, Gregory J. wrote:

                >This area has become a super-hot-spot for this kind of activity in the last week. Is it appropriate for undercover agents to be placed in this area to resolve this problem as quickly as possible?

              • Veronica MB
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                  Wendy...seriously? Why would a woman be walking at 9 pm?????? Some women are coming back from work or even at the grocery store at that time.

                  Any woman or man should be able to walk or drive even at midnight and
                  feel safe. No wonder DC feels like a ghost town at night.

                  VMB

                • Tamara Robinson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                    THANK YOU, ERICA!

                    The bigger question is: why do some people think it's ok to punch a person in the face and then steal her purse?

                    --
                    Tamara L. Robinson
                    773-450-9253

                    The road from knowledge to freedom is a long and arduous one, and I battle my way down it everyday. --Andrew Solomon
                  • Julia Wilton
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                      Seriously?  We should live in fear and stop living our lives?  That's ridiculous....

                      For the past two weeks I have been working on an urgent project in which I have not left the office until 10-11pm, bringing me home at the time that these serious crimes have been happening...Tuesday, I missed the robberies on 3rd Street by less than 5 minutes...I typically park in the alley if there is no parking in front of my house...regardless, there should never be a question for the hours I keep...I should assume that my home is safe and while yes, I live in the city, and should be careful, I should not have to live in fear of being held at gunpoint in front of my house, or have my house broken into...and I should never, ever be questioned for being outside at "that late hour"....sometimes I am walking home from Yoga at 9, or coming back from groceries, sometimes, I am sittting outside with a friend...we should be encouraging people to be out and on the streets, as opposed to hiding scared inside like a bunker at a normal hour that many are just coming home from dinner.

                      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Veronica MB <vmattab@...> wrote:

                      Wendy...seriously? Why would a woman be walking at 9 pm?????? Some women are coming back from work or even at the grocery store at that time.

                      Any woman or man should be able to walk or drive even at midnight and
                      feel safe. No wonder DC feels like a ghost town at night.

                      VMB

                      On Feb 2, 2012 9:42 AM, "Wendy" <wendy_lewis2@...> wrote:

                      > Not that I am condoning any type of violence
                      > But why was a female in an alley at almost 9 pm?
                      > In this day and age I just think all precautions should be taken for
                      > safety especially with the history of events in this neighborhood.
                      > ------------------------------
                      > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 11:09 PM EST Bowles, Gregory J. wrote:
                      >
                      > >This area has become a super-hot-spot for this kind of activity in the
                      > last week. Is it appropriate for undercover agents to be placed in this
                      > area to resolve this problem as quickly as possible?

                      Our life is what our thoughts make it - Marcus Aurelius
                    • Matt
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                        Before we all start piling complaints on Wendy, she does have a point... if maybe poorly made. NO ONE should be walking in dark alleys at night. We all should be sticking to well-lighted and hight traffic routes. It doesn't eliminate your chances of being assaulted, but it does reduce them. In addition, no one should be talking on cell phones or texting while walking at night either. You should always be aware of your surroundings while in an area that is known to have these types of crimes.
                      • Wendy
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                          YES serious as a HEART ATTACK! If you know your neighboorhood has had heightened criminal activity in the not-so-distant past...why not take extra precautions to keep yourself safe?

                          Am I asking anyone to live as if they are in wartime Beirut...no ... but come on, do what you have to do to be safe!

                          Veronica, if you feel safe have a great walk!

                          Wendy...seriously? Why would a woman be walking at 9 pm?????? Some women are coming back from work or even at the grocery store at that time.

                          Any woman or man should be able to walk or drive even at midnight and
                          feel safe. No wonder DC feels like a ghost town at night.

                          VMB
                          On Feb 2, 2012 9:42 AM, "Wendy" <wendy_lewis2@...> wrote:

                          > Not that I am condoning any type of violence
                          > But why was a female in an alley at almost 9 pm?
                          > In this day and age I just think all precautions should be taken for
                          > safety especially with the history of events in this neighborhood.
                          > ------------------------------
                          > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 11:09 PM EST Bowles, Gregory J. wrote:
                          >
                          > >This area has become a super-hot-spot for this kind of activity in the
                          > last week. Is it appropriate for undercover agents to be placed in this
                          > area to resolve this problem as quickly as possible?

                        • Bowles, Gregory J.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012

                            I suggest we all direct this energy towards preparing good community impact statements to assure the actions of Mr. King (Suspect - Raymond King, 7-4-1989) and his to be arrested accomplice are not out doing this again too soon…

                            Respectfully,

                            Greg

                            Wendy...seriously? Why would a woman be walking at 9 pm?????? Some women are coming back from work or even at the grocery store at that time.

                            Any woman or man should be able to walk or drive even at midnight and
                            feel safe. No wonder DC feels like a ghost town at night.

                            VMB

                            On Feb 2, 2012 9:42 AM, "Wendy" <wendy_lewis2@...> wrote:

                            > Not that I am condoning any type of violence
                            > But why was a female in an alley at almost 9 pm?
                            > In this day and age I just think all precautions should be taken for
                            > safety especially with the history of events in this neighborhood.
                            > ------------------------------
                            > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 11:09 PM EST Bowles, Gregory J. wrote:
                            >
                            > >This area has become a super-hot-spot for this kind of activity in the
                            > last week. Is it appropriate for undercover agents to be placed in this
                            > area to resolve this problem as quickly as possible?

                          • Steve Rynecki
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                              Has anyone noticed a correlation between increased crime and warm winter conditions?

                            • Rob Amos
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                I agree - and feel the same way about all these recommendations not to leave stuff in your car - that's not gonna stop the criminal from breaking into cars ... just not breaking into your car - and even then they still do it.

                                Rob

                                On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Erica Best <erica.eleen.best@...> wrote:

                                How about instead of blaming the victim, we blame the people that robbed her?

                                On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Wendy <wendy_lewis2@...> wrote:

                                Not that I am condoning any type of violence
                                But why was a female in an alley at almost 9 pm?
                                In this day and age I just think all precautions should be taken for safety especially with the history of events in this neighborhood.
                                ------------------------------
                                On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 11:09 PM EST Bowles, Gregory J. wrote:

                                >This area has become a super-hot-spot for this kind of activity in the last week. Is it appropriate for undercover agents to be placed in this area to resolve this problem as quickly as possible?

                              • Taylor Armstrong
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                  Please don't forget to use the word *IF*. *IF* he is found guilty. I
                                  suspect he will, this seems like a pretty open/shut case, but there IS the presumption of innocence until proven guilty, or at least there is supposed to be. (and I personally think that if you are going to write a community impact statement, you should sign it. What is to keep Virginia/Maryland residents from submitting them if there is no accountability?

                                  Just my 2 cents,

                                  Taylor Armstrong

                                • Katie Fullenkamp
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                    My parking space access is through an alley. Does that mean I'm not allowed to drive after dark?

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                      Wendy, I do not think people in DC go on strolls at certain hours because of leisure. They happen to be there for a reason. Give them benefit of the doubt before you give everyone a lesson on safety and precaution. Seriously 9 pm is late???? **

                                      Criminals usually do not target busy streets, because they are afraid of being caught. Police should be on the streets protecting us. I do not see that happening.

                                      I am from BEIRUT. You can walk there at 2 am in the morning without fear, believe it or not. I never felt more fear than when I moved to DC.

                                      I agree that we should avoid alleys and quiet streets, as much as possible. But, sometimes it is not possible and everyone has their reasons. Please give them benefit of the doubt and let us focus on something more important here.

                                      WE need more protection, we need more police presence....we need more
                                      people to support safety so we can make our city a better one.

                                      I am upset that nothing is being done about it just like everyone else.

                                    • Robert Rutledge

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                          Sorry but the only point being made by Wendy is one of ignorance and fear - especially with respect to the comments on Beirut...Lebanon is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and quite frankly, I agree with Veronica that the streets in some areas of DC need additional police presence, and are much scarier than other parts of the world.

                                          The alleys are not dark, and many people park in them...many times they have more people back there than the streets.  Yes everyone should be aware of their surroundings, but no-one should be questioned for being a victim of a crime...no matter what the hour.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                            To be fair to our police officers, I take issue with the statement that nothing is being done. We have a limited police force with limited resources. We can suggest different ways of solving the problem, but don't suggest that our police aren't doing anything. I've personally seen officers on bikes patrolling the alley behind my house recently. We're all frustrated with crime. It's not OK, but it does exist. I give kudos to our officers for participating in this forum and giving us information, and I'd like to see a little more positive reinforcement here, as well as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

                                          • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                              Thank you Matt. We have all of our resources dedicated to deal with the increase in these types of robberies/attacks. I can tell you we are working this issue on several levels. We appreciate your support

                                              Cathy L. Lanier
                                              Chief of Police
                                              Washington, D.C.
                                              (202) 727-4218

                                              Sign up at www.onecitysummit.dc.gov

                                            • Pope, Alexander (MPD)
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                                I will be patrolling in 5D with special attention for Metro stops and high incident areas.
                                                Desk Sgt. Alex Pope
                                                Metropolitan Police Dept.
                                                Traffic Safety Unit
                                                202-698-0240
                                                202-905-5463 cell
                                                "Don't Drink and Drive"
                                                ________________________________
                                                From: "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...>
                                                Sender: "MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com" <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                                                Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 18:47:55 -0500
                                                To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                                                ReplyTo: "MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com" <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                                                Cc: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

                                                On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Wendy <<mailto:wendy_lewis2%40yahoo.com>wendy_lewis2@...<mailto:wendy_lewis2@...>> wrote:

                                                > **
                                                >

                                                > YES serious as a HEART ATTACK! If you know your neighboorhood has had
                                                > heightened criminal activity in the not-so-distant past...why not take
                                                > extra precautions to keep yourself safe?
                                                >
                                                > Am I asking anyone to live as if they are in wartime Beirut...no ... but
                                                > come on, do what you have to do to be safe!
                                                >
                                                > Veronica, if you feel safe have a great walk!

                                              • Tom Usselman
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012

                                                  I have to agree with Matt, I think the real problem is our court system. When the judges release criminals back into our neighborhoods the very next day after they get arrested what do you think is going to happen?

                                                  The bottom line is our council needs to tighten up our laws and the legal system need to recognize that we are not going to tolerate their leniency.

                                                  Again thanks to our officers for being in the community and working for us.

                                                  Tom Usselman

                                                  To be fair to our police officers, I take issue with the statement that nothing is being done. We have a limited police force with limited resources. We can suggest different ways of solving the problem, but don't suggest that our police aren't doing anything. I've personally seen officers on bikes patrolling the alley behind my house recently. We're all frustrated with crime. It's not OK, but it does exist. I give kudos to our officers for participating in this forum and giving us information, and I'd like to see a little more positive reinforcement here, as well as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

                                                  On Feb 2, 2012, at 4:36 PM, Veronica MB wrote:

                                                  Wendy, I do not think people in DC go on strolls at certain hours because of leisure. They happen to be there for a reason. Give them benefit of the doubt before you give everyone a lesson on safety and precaution. Seriously 9 pm is late???? **

                                                  Criminals usually do not target busy streets, because they are afraid of being caught. Police should be on the streets protecting us. I do not see that happening.

                                                  I am from BEIRUT. You can walk there at 2 am in the morning without fear, believe it or not. I never felt more fear than when I moved to DC.

                                                  I agree that we should avoid alleys and quiet streets, as much as possible. But, sometimes it is not possible and everyone has their reasons. Please give them benefit of the doubt and let us focus on something more important here.

                                                  WE need more protection, we need more police presence....we need more
                                                  people to support safety so we can make our city a better one.

                                                  I am upset that nothing is being done about it just like everyone else.

                                                  On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Wendy <wendy_lewis2@...> wrote:

                                                  > **
                                                  >

                                                  > YES serious as a HEART ATTACK! If you know your neighboorhood has had
                                                  > heightened criminal activity in the not-so-distant past...why not take
                                                  > extra precautions to keep yourself safe?
                                                  >
                                                  > Am I asking anyone to live as if they are in wartime Beirut...no ... but
                                                  > come on, do what you have to do to be safe!
                                                  >
                                                  > Veronica, if you feel safe have a great walk!

                                                • Joyce
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                                    All things being equal, I also disagree that MPD is doing nothing. They are doing the best that they can with the resources they are given. I may not see them everyday on my block/street, but I have to trust and feel comfortable that they are 'on the job'. And, as much as we may not want to agree, the current economy (unemployment, foreclosures, etc.) has driven some to become criminals. Of course, drug and alcohol abuse have always been around, but now we see (and are witness no - but, hopefully, not victims of) more and more incidents of crime on a regular and daily basis. Where people are/where there is movement, where locations are well lighted, crime usually is not a certainty. Would I walk down an alley alone at 9pm? Would I leave my car unlocked or leave valuable items in sigh in the car overnight? tProbably not, but that's just me. Still, I defend the right to do it...and know that there are consequences for me to pay if I do. Yes, there are ALWAYS exceptions to every situation....such as random car break-ins and auto thefts. But when you shelter yourself away ("I don't go out once it becomes dark.....I can't sit on my deck/porch because I'm scared to"), that sends another kind of message. Criminals smell fear....and know who to target. We are lucky to live in a country where laws dictate how criminals are prosecuted, jailed, rehabilitated, etc. instead of being beheaded, limbs cut off, etc. Then again, if the price one paid for committing crimes were more punitive (and I am NOT saying we should start public beheadings, etc.), then, perhaps criminals would think twice before committing these acts.

                                                    As citizens, there is a role for us to play as well. Get to know your neighbors. Do you REALLY know who you're living around?  When you go out of town, do your neighbors look out/watch your property, collect your mail/newspapers? Are you willing to do the same? If you just saw your neighbor drive off, and now there's a strange car with 'suspect' persons parked in their driveway/at their back door (or knocking on their doors), what would you do?  Wouldn't you want your neighbor to call MPD if they saw suspicious activity around your house? We have to start working together as neighbors and start looking out for each other. Why not work together as patrol groups? If criminals see you patrolling as a group, what kind of message do you think that sends to them? Don't just complain here on a listserv; go to neighborhood meetings - especially, those were MPD is present. Get to know your policemen/women in your neighborhood. We can become UNITED to protect where we live.

                                                    So, when you see something 'unusual', REPORT IT. This is not the time to put our heads in the sand and say "it's not my problem". It's OUR problem: MPD and ours.

                                                    Joyce on Taylor

                                                    "You get what you expect, and you deserve what you tolerate."

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                                      Well said!

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                                                        By no means am I "questioning" the victim.
                                                        And everyone is entitled to their opinion....thank you for sharing yours.