ANC 5B10 Community Meeting

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 20, 2012
      Good Evening All:

      First, we greatly appreciate Councilmember Vincent Orange's recent legislation to limit the number of marijuana cultivation centers and dispensaries operating in Ward 5, which passed. While six such facilities in our ward are better than the proposed 27, the number is still too high, underscoring a public safety burden to our community. We do not want or need any drains on our police resources as a result of these facilities, underscoring similar public safety breaches in the states that allow these facilities. US Attorney Ronald Machen reminds us that marijuana remains an illegal drug and his office will continue to prosecute violations involving the use, sale and distribution of the drug accordingly.

      Tonight, we voted unanimously to table the implementation of these facilities in Ward 5 until we elect a Ward 5 Councilmember on May 15, 2012, and will send a letter to our mayor and council. We believe there is no compelling argument to rush the licensing process of these controversial facilities while there is no designated councilmember to represent Ward 5. We deserve a process that is fair, transparent and reflective of the will of Ward 5 residents and we should not proceed in this matter without a representative specifically designated for our ward. If you agree with this position, we encourage you to stand with us and demand this matter be tabled until we have elected a representative on May 15. 2012. We deserve maximum public safety and should not be afraid to slow down a process that has the potential to drain our police resources.

      Kathy Henderson