reflections

  • Mr. Keith Jarrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2011
      Et al,

      Before 2011 becomes history and the element of celebration takes the night.
      I want each of you to know just how proud I am of the outstanding accomplishments of this year by the MPD.
      Homicides at a new low in many years,  and the amount of homicide cases brought to closure is absolutely gratifying.

      Many will declare it is the national trend. They too are entitled to their opinion.

      I stand with those in this city that know the real meaning behind these terrific accomplishments.  That being the leadership, the standards, and the integrity that each of you bring to the department.  Remembering as well the tried and true devotion of each of our Officers, and Detectives, day in and day out, out there on our streets.  Putting their own safety on the line to protect and defend the citizens of this city.  These combined efforts bring us closer and closer to truly being the golden city on the hill.

      There is little that one can really say as we begin to close out this year,  and gingerly look forward to a fresh start with a new calendar year that quickly approaches.

      Little more than a heartfelt thank you!  For a job well done!  I choke with pride in being able to simply say that I know each of you and have the ultimate admiration for each of you personally.

      May we grow in harmony and friendship as we look forward. May God always hold you safely in his loving hands. And may you rest in knowing how proud so many are of the intensely professional approach you strive every day to achieve and to uphold.

      Best to each of you and yours in 2012,

      Keith Jarrell

      --

      Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

      Please be informed that if you are in receipt of this email by intent, it is provided solely for the use of communicating with you as the intended target.  Use or duplication of this email including forwarding of attached email or any part of which is forbidden. To do so could result in a complaint being filed against you in multiple jurisdictions, including the District of Columbia, and or the state in which you also live.  Keith Jarrell

      Keith Jarrell

    • Durham, Alfred (MPD)
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2011

        Greetings Keith,

        Thank you for the kind words of appreciation and gratitude that you have expressed towards the members your police department. Not being the least bashful, you have never hesitated to rebuke us when our services have been less than sublime. Regardless of those reprimands, you have continuously been an advocate for the MPD. I think that I speak for the entire command staff when I say that we are proud to serve the citizenry of this great City. As we enter into year 2012, the bar has once again been raised for the MPD to provide an even greater service to the residents and visitors of the District of Columbia.

        Happy New Year!

        Assistant Chief Alfred Durham

        Executive Officer

        Executive Office of the Chief of Police

        Metropolitan Police Department

        300 Indiana Avenue NW Suite 5080

        Washington DC 20001

        Office (202) 727-4218

        Fax    (202) 727-9729

        alfred.durham@...

[...]

        Join Mayor Gray’s One City • One Hire - 10,000 Jobs Campaign
        “Putting District Residents Back to Work – One Hire at a Time”
        Learn more at http://onecityonehire.org

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2012

          Thanks for your kind words, Keith.  I always appreciate your support for the MPD.  Having people like you in the community makes a huge difference, and, as AC Durham has already mentioned, both your encouragement and criticisms make us a stronger agency.

          Thank you and Happy New Year.

          Andy Solberg

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2012
            Chief Durham,

            Thank you for your frankness.  I would be proud to stand beside of the MPD any day.  But just like a best friend sometimes we disagree on the principals of how to accomplish something. My Mother is 86 now,  and sometimes I have to tell her that disagree too.
            MPD's leadership under Chief Lanier and the rest of this senior command staff is extraordinary in every way. Not only do I treasure the relationship as a community advocate but value the many friendships that have evolved over the years.

            Godspeed,

            Keith