Re: [Eckington] more on packages

  • teabelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2011
      i've had horrible problems with 911. i've been hung up on when boy were trying to come in through my back gate, etc.  the people on the other end of those calls have NO idea what we are experiencing here.  i'd like to see some bold moves to hire only DC residents who are qualified.  they should create a policy that any qualified DC resident gets the job over a qualified non-resident if you are working for the city.  it would create jobs and attract smart people dedicated to improving their community to buy houses.  from answering 911 to being the director of transportation, any qualified DC resident gets the job over a non-resident.  just like veterans.

      On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 12:51 PM, David Do <apartius@...> wrote:

      Describing it as the 100 block of Q Street and R Street NE seems easier for them to input in the system when describing an address. I have never had a problem.

      David Do

      On Dec 25, 2011, at 8:26 AM, "k3" <klee@...> wrote:

      The day after the post about delivered packages being taken from
      peoples' porches, I saw two guys on bicycles racing away with what had
      to have been stolen packages. Reporting this to 911 was difficult. For
      one thing, I got cut off TWICE. Then I didn't have a specific address
      to provide.

      No matter how good it looks on paper (GPS is so overhyped), this
      address-centric system is impractical. It makes catching people in the
      act of committing a crime harder, not easier.

      Also, we need dispatchers who are mentally nimble and who have
      extensive knowledge of DC's geography. "First Street NE between Q and
      R" isn't hard to understand.

      --
      kimberly

      a resident of dc and taxed without representation.