A Thank You Message

  • Robert Vinson Brannum
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2011

      Greetings and salutations,

      On Sunday, 25 December 2011, many people in America and around the world will be celebrating Christmas.  My family will be among them.  However, despite our celebrating Christmas during this holiday season, we join in the spiritual lighting of the Menorah for those who celebrate Chanukah and the Kinara for those who celebrate Kwanza.

      As you gather with family and friends, please remember members of America’s military who are away from their families and friends protecting the principles of freedom, justice, and democracy for all Americans.  We should always thank them and their families for their joint sacrifice and service.

      As President of the D.C. Federation of Civic Associations, Inc. and the Fifth District Citizens’ Advisory Council, I am not only proud of our work and service in support the residents of the District of Columbia, but also our activities and efforts to support our young people and local law enforcement officers.

      The ideology our communities need to be cleansed and our principles need be sacrificed through a “scorched-earth” and “anti-everything” attitude does not unite people or communities.  The idea of “One City” is a positive value of being inclusive rather than being exclusive.  Working to bring people together requires extending helping hands of support.

      The names of Dr. George H. Richardson, Judge John B. Duncan, Judge Barrington Parker, Judge Henry Dixon, Mr. Nelson Roots, Mr. Simon L. Cain, Dr. Benjamin Alexander, Mr. Frank Bolden, Mr. Ronnie Edwards, Dr. Shelia Hafter-Gray, Mrs. Helen Talley, Mrs. Romaine Thomas, Mr. Adolphe Edwards, Mr. Gregory New, Ms. Gerri Adams-Simmons, Mr. Greg Rhett, Ms. Ruth Marshall, Mr. Frank Braxton, Mr. Paul Washington, Mrs. Norma Broadnax, Mr. Art Slater, Mr. George Boyd, Mrs. Mary D. Harris, and Mr. James D. Berry, Jr. serve as a roll call of honor in community service to others.  They highlight the principles of “Integrity First, Service Before Self, and Excellence in All We Do”.  Through their work and service, young people can see hope and become inspired.

      Friends and colleagues; the D.C. Federation of Civic Associations and the various District Citizens’ Advisory Councils are noble community service institutions.  Their civic blood of righteousness flows not only in each Ward of the District, but also through Bloomingdale and Chevy Chase; there are mighty blue rivers of justice in Hillcrest and Palisades; the winds of hope blow in Fairlawn and in Cleveland Park; the sun shines brightly in Woodridge and in Southwest; the grass grows green in Deanwood and in DuPont Circle; excellence is desired in Lamond-Riggs along with Friendship-Tenleytown; there is good character in Public Interest and in Burleith; for there is life, joy, happiness, passion for peace, and love East of The River and West of The Park.

      On a personal note, I thank each of you for your prayers, calls, and visits during my recent hospitalization. May God bless each of you.

      Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and Happy Kwanza to you all.

      Robert Vinson Brannum

      President, D.C. Federation of Civic Associations

      Chairman, Fifth District Citizens’ Advisory Council

      rbrannum@...

      @robert158