Re: [MPD-5D] Neighborhood walk with the Guardian Angels

  • Kimberly Niono
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2011
      I appreciate the Angels, however what can we do to get more and consistent police presence? Residents in Georgetown are not forced to walk around their neighborhood to fend off criminals and we should not either.

      I mean these folks are drug dealers and criminals. We can become targets in our own living space. After visiting a community meeting, I was told that the reason Georgetown gets a bigger presence is they call the police more often-- sort of like the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

      I call the police and correspond with the police via email. And i see plenty of concerns voiced on this group. I must say that it is disheartening to see gangs of drunks and addicts hang on the corner, watch men pull their penis' out and pee right on the avenue. I dare to say, it would not happen so freely in Georgetown-- at least not for long. If they are this brazen, it is because they know the presence is small around here. Just imagine what is happening in the alleys if they are this brazen in the open!

      I beg for a more consistent presence. It can not be sporadic else these criminals know they can return after the big light is gone.

      Sent from Kimberlys iPad

      On Oct 20, 2011, at 9:59 PM, "crknightdc" <crknightdc@...> wrote:

      I wanted to say thank you the Guardian Angels for coming out.
      There was a good turnout for the walk tonight and I hope more people in neighborhood can make it out with us in the future.
      It was a great way for people in the neighborhood to get together and meet.
      There is another walk scheduled for next week on Thursday.

      Chris

    • John Ayala
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2011
        To the First and O Street, NW Community,

        On October 20 at 8 pm, members from the community walked with the Guardian Angels.  I would like to thank G Bonilla;  Glen, Kenny Kyle from the 200 block of Bates Street; Jacquette, Chris & Robin  from the Unit block of O Street, and Kelly from Hanover Place.  We had a nice walk and we discussed ways to help keep the community safe.

        The next community walk is Thursday October 27 at 8pm.  I am aware that their is a 5D CAC Awards Gala at the time of the walk and some of you will attend the Gala. Two Guardian Angels are attending the Gala.  I will be on First and O Street, NW at 8 PM to walk with any community members who would like to come out to walk.  We must continue to walk every week if we would like to see a change in the community.

        If you did not walk last week and are not going to the Gala please come out tomorrow.  This your community and I would like to meet you.

        From: Debbie Smith <dlsmith112@...>
        Date: Oct 19, 2011 5:05 PM
        Subject: Re: Guardian Angels
        To: Jason Rivkin <jason.rivkin@...>

        Thanks Jason for responding. And yes! I was looking for positive feedback from the community.  All to often when you are volunteering your time, you hardly ever get acknowledgements of goodwill.  I believe the Guardian Angels appreciate the attaboys from the community they  are helping.

         Commander Solberg always gives kudos and high marks to the Angels and I just believe that a thank you from those you serve, can go a long way especially when you are doing a volunteer job from your heart.

        Thanks for resonding

        On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Kelly Hoffman <kelly.hoffman@...> wrote:

        It's a great way to get a little exercise, meet your neighbors, and learn about trouble spots in the community. Or maybe just get a good recommendation for lunch! Also there was an adorable puppy along...

        I will be back at 1st and O next Thursday at 8 - hope to see everyone there again as well as some new faces!

        ~Kelly

        PS - A BIG thanks to John and his angels for organizing the walk and for making sure I didn't walk home alone!

        On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Kyle Thomas <thomkyle@...> wrote:

        It was a GREAT walk! Thanks so much Gaurdian Angels.  We covered a lot of ground, got to know several neighbors and planned some routes for the next walks.  Hopefully more can join next Thursday.

        --
        207 Bates Street NW
        Washington DC 20001

        --