Vacant/Abandoned House

  • MarkS
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 21, 2011
      This probably isn't the right group for this, but I'm not sure where else to check... 2300 blk Randolph St. NE (corner of 24th and Randolph) appears to be recently vacated/abandoned. In the last 2 weeks or so the building has fallen into disrepair nearly on a daily basis - there are numerous missing upstairs windows (and frames), the electric meter is disconnected and most recently chunks of siding have been pulled off. My concern is it's starting to look like a place where people could conceivably be squatting, not to mention being a potential fire trap waiting to go up. Is there anything that can be done?

      Thanks,

      Mark on Randolph
      (exact address sent to Commander)
    • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 21, 2011
        We can pass along to dcra to see if they can get it boarded up. I have copied Director Majette.

        Cathy L. Lanier
        Chief of Police
        Washington, D.C.
        (202) 727-4218

        On Oct 21, 2011, at 11:01 AM, "MarkS" <dubdlux@...> wrote:

        This probably isn't the right group for this, but I'm not sure where else to check... 2300 blk Randolph St. NE (corner of 24th and Randolph) appears to be recently vacated/abandoned. In the last 2 weeks or so the building has fallen into disrepair nearly on a daily basis - there are numerous missing upstairs windows (and frames), the electric meter is disconnected and most recently chunks of siding have been pulled off. My concern is it's starting to look like a place where people could conceivably be squatting, not to mention being a potential fire trap waiting to go up. Is there anything that can be done?

        Thanks,

        Mark on Randolph
        (exact address sent to Commander)

        Join Mayor Gray’s One City • One Hire - 10,000 Jobs Campaign
        “Putting District Residents Back to Work – One Hire at a Time”
        Learn more at http://onecityonehire.org

        Learn more at www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov.  One City, Working Together!

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 21, 2011
            My office will follow up with the agencies

            Sent from my Harry2010 iPad
            excuse typos sent from my iPad from the field”
            Building Stronger Communities Together
            https://twitter.com/HarryThomasJr5
            http://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=applications#!/HarryTommyThomas

            On Oct 21, 2011, at 11:18 AM, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

            Yes, you should contact DCRA and ask them to take a look.

            Andy Solberg
            Commander, 5D

            Join Mayor Grayx2019;s One City x2022; One Hire - 10,000 Jobs Campaign
            x201C;Putting District Residents Back to Work x2013; One Hire at a Timex201D;

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 21, 2011
              Below is the information to report vacant properties. I encourage everyone to report vacant properties to DCRA. Neighbors and I got the vacant building on the SW corner of Rhode Island and 4th NE "blighted" which caused the owner to be taxed heavily, and encouraged him to sell the property and now it's being rennovated which will provide less space for loiterers and law breakers and bring productive members of society / responsible homeowners to our neighborhood!

              Reporting Vacant Property

              Individuals can report vacant property directly to DCRA by calling (202) 442-4332 or by emailing dcra@...

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
                  A neighbor relayed this information to me:

                  The house on the corner of 24th and Randolph has had a application for a permit to raise the house on file since March of this year. The permit request has been posted in the front window of the house. The owner is demolishing. Not sure what is planned for the spot.

                  --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

                  > We can pass along to dcra to see if they can get it boarded up. I have copied Director Majette.
                  >
                  > Cathy L. Lanier
                  > Chief of Police
                  > Washington, D.C.
                  > (202) 727-4218
                  >

                  > On Oct 21, 2011, at 11:01 AM, "MarkS" <dubdlux@...<mailto:dubdlux@...>> wrote:
                  >

                  > This probably isn't the right group for this, but I'm not sure where else to check... 2300 blk Randolph St. NE (corner of 24th and Randolph) appears to be recently vacated/abandoned. In the last 2 weeks or so the building has fallen into disrepair nearly on a daily basis - there are numerous missing upstairs windows (and frames), the electric meter is disconnected and most recently chunks of siding have been pulled off. My concern is it's starting to look like a place where people could conceivably be squatting, not to mention being a potential fire trap waiting to go up. Is there anything that can be done?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Mark on Randolph
                  > (exact address sent to Commander)
                  >

                  > Join Mayor Gray’s One City • One Hire - 10,000 Jobs Campaign
                  > “Putting District Residents Back to Work â€" One Hire at a Time”
                  > Learn more at http://onecityonehire.org
                  >
                  > Support the DC One Fund Campaign, Each One Give One.
                  > Learn more at www.dconefund.org<http://www.dconefund.org> or www.onefund.dc.gov<http://www.onefund.dc.gov>. One City, Working Together!

                    A neighbor relayed this information to me:

                    The house on the corner of 24th and R andolph has had a application for a permit to raise the house on file since March of this year. The permit request has been posted in the front window of the house. The owner is demolishing. Not sure what is planned for the spot.

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, " Lanier, Cathy (MPD)" <cathy.lanier@...> wrote:

                    > We can pass along to dcra to see if they can get it boarded up. I have
                    copied Director Majette.

                    > Cathy L. Lanier
                    > Chief of Police
                    > Washington ,
                    w:st="on">D.C.
                    > (202) 727-4218
                    >

                    > On Oct 21, 2011, at 11:01 AM, "MarkS"
                    <dubdlux@...<mailto:dubdlux@...>> wrote:

                    > This probably isn't the right group for this, but I'm not sure where else
                    to check... 2300 blk R andolph St. NE (corner of 24th and R andolph ) appears to be recently vacated/abandoned. In the last 2 weeks or so the building has fallen into disrepair nearly on a daily basis - there are numerous missing upstairs windows (and frames), the electric meter is disconnected and most recently chunks of siding have been pulled off. My concern is it's starting to look like a place where people could conceivably be squatting, not to mention being a potential fire trap waiting to go up. Is there anything that can be done?

                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Mark on R andolph
                    > (exact address sent to Commander)
                    >

                    > Join Mayor Gray’s One
                    City • One Hire - 10,000 Jobs Campaign
                    > “Putting District R esidents
                    Back to Work â€" One Hire at a Time”
                    > Learn more at http://onecityonehire.org
                    >
                    > Support the DC One Fund Campaign, Each One Give One.
                    > Learn more at www.dconefund.org<http://www.dconefund.org>
                    or www.onefund.dc.gov<http://www.onefund.dc.gov>. One City, Working Together!

                  • shirley smith
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011

                      Thanks, the DCRA know about this house.

                      We have complained for the past four years. Because it has been vacant so long it is beginning to deteriorate fast.

                      ANC Commissioner 5A09

                      Shirley Rivens Smith, President

                      US Africa Sister Cities Foundation, Inc.

                      DC-Dakar

                      2000 Upshur St., NE

                      Washington, DC 20018

                      www.usasc.org