RE: [MPD-5D] Re: Recent Problem with Motorbikes, Minibikes, and ATVs

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011

      Anything with a motor of under 50 cc can be ridden on the street without a helmet and without registering it, much like a bicycle.  50 cc and over, it needs to be fully registered the same as a regular motorcycle, and a helmet needs to be worn.

      They can be owned, but not operated, in DC, if they are not legally registered.

      If you SEE something, SAY something.  Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@... to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurredCall 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.

      Join the District’s Observance of the 10th Anniversary of  9/11 -  http:///www.september11.dc.gov

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011
        Thanks for your response and education on this topic. I have no problems with the scooter owners in our neighborhood. I have confronted these individuals about traveling the wrong way on one-way streets and riding on sidewalks, and they are universally apologetic and cease the behavior immediately. Sure, I look out the window when I hear the engine because it sounds like the illegal vehicles, but when I see them I know they're just people riding scooters LEGALLY to get to/from work or to do their work (deliveries).

        As far as the riders running from you, that makes perfect sense and I don't think that the police should chase them through the neighborhood. Yes, that would create more danger than it prevents. However, I do think that the problem in our neighborhood would be responsive to the police making an effort to respond to them. We don't live in the ghetto (as Mr. Barry so eloquently described his neighborhood), and where police enforcement efforts have been undertaken, people have responded. Even TRYING to pull them over would probably go a long way in getting them to abandon this practice in our neighborhood.

        I will try my best to get a license plate number for you on the vehicle that brings these illegal vehicles into our neighborhood (I am not afraid to just walk up and take a picture of the license plate, but they run as soon as I leave my house, normally). All I ask is for a response when I have this vehicle description and current location. I have tried to relate this information numerous times to 911 operators, and it seems to get little interest. I have been on the line with operators as this vehicle enters or exits our neighborhood, and still I don't get a response to the call in a prompt manner. I have watched these individuals enter and exit our neighborhood to conduct activities that would be unacceptable in their own neighborhood so many times that I am just frustrated. I guess I'm just sick of being the dumping ground for things that are not okay elsewhere...