September 11 Tenth Anniversary Observance

  • Robert Vinson Brannum
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2011

      September 11 Tenth Anniversary Observance

      Ten years later, the District of Columbia remembers the events of September 11, 2001 and those District residents and employees who lost their lives that day.

      On Sunday, September 11, 2011, HandsOn Greater DC Cares and Serve DC - the Mayor’s Office on Volunteerism will commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11 by hosting Tribute to Service – Honoring the Victims, Survivors, and Heroes of 9/11 at Freedom Plaza in downtown Washington, DC. The tribute serves as a time for community members to rekindle the spirit of service that emerged following the attacks of 9/11. Attendees will have the opportunity to:

      • Engage in onsite service projects that will directly impact regional nonprofits, schools and community base organizations. Projects include painting a 9/11 Remembrance Mural, assembling educational kits for students, writing honor cards to military families, and more!
      • Connect to volunteerism throughout the year by participating in our volunteer fair featuring 30 nonprofits from Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia
      • Participate in our tribute program featuring regional and national speakers, local choirs, poetry, and a dance troupe.

      You are invited to join in this tribute and service to others. Make sure your 9/11 is a day of service and not just another day.

      Participating nonprofits include: The D.C. Federation of Civic Associations, the Mission Continues, Blue Star Families, United Planning Organization, Latin American Youth Center, Youth Service Opportunities Project, Byte Back, Washington DCJCC, Barney Neighborhood House, So Others Might Eat (SOME), Sasha Bruce Youthwork, American Red Cross, Montgomery County Volunteer Center, Center for Inspired Teaching, Mary's Center for Maternal and Child Care, Inc., American Youth Center, CASA for Children of DC, Many Languages One Voice, DC Office of Veteran Affairs, And More!

      [click on the links below for additional information]

      ·         Calendar of Events

      ·         Tenth Anniversary Observance Committee

      ·         Remembering Our Students, Teachers and Staffers

      ·         Remembering Our Residents

      ·         Share a Remembrance

      Robert Vinson Brannum

      President, D.C. Federation of Civic Associations, Inc.