RE: [MPD-5D] Noteworthy actions

  • Craig, Donald (MPD)
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
      Without getting into it too deep. CPWL has a penalty of up to 5 years in prison. Unless it is a second or a third offense and then there'san enhanced penalty for repeat offenders. However we only charge the most serious crime at the time of arrest. When the grand jury hears the case they are asked to indict on all of the lesser included offenses or other charges.

      For example the suspect we charged with Carrying a Pistol Without a License and Assault with a dangerous Weapon/Gun could ultimately be indicted on the following charges.

      CPWL 5 yrs
      ADW Gun 5 yrs
      Assaut With Intent to Kill 10 yrs
      Simple Assault 1 yr
      Unregistered Firearm 180 days
      Unregistered Ammunition 180 days

      So you can see the charges can add up in the end. I hope this helps. Take care.

      Lt. Craig

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
        Dear MPD,

        Thank you for issuing tickets to jay walkers (at least this wednesday, around 11).  I always worry about the kids especially (who sometimes jay walk with adult companions!).  Were there officers here this morning when the kids go to school?  I hope they'll be around when they get out of school as well.

        Thank You very much!

      • Caro Alcuaz
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
          Thank you as well to non-MPD persons who were involved in getting attention for the dangerous jaywalking situation going on / in this corner.

        • DCReardon@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
            We have been told for quite a while that the pedestrian light there would be lengthened, and that a crossing guard would be posted during to and from school times, but so far neither have been done.  My SO is in a nonpower wheelchair, and no way can he get across in the "legal" time allotted at that intersection.  We need a longer light cycle and also a crossing guard, hordes of kids go through their on their way to and from school every day.  Many people have been hit at this intersection.

            In a message dated 4/5/2006 11:17:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, caro_alcuaz@... writes:
            Dear MPD,

            Thank you for issuing tickets to jay walkers (at least this wednesday, around 11).  I always worry about the kids especially (who sometimes jay walk with adult companions!).  Were there officers here this morning when the kids go to school?  I hope they'll be around when they get out of school as well.

            Thank You very much!

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS