RE: Noteworthy actions

  • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
      Lt. Craig,

      Please commend the officers for excellent work, on my behalf.

      Sincerely,

      Kathy Henderson, 5B10

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
        Kudos and thanks to the officers who helped make us all safer by
        getting some of the guns out of our neighborhoods. I don't know about
        other civilians on this list, but when I hear gunfire, I run away from
        it, not towards it! Please thank the officers for their bravery and
        hard work on our behalf.

        I am saddened and ashamed that the news was met with such an
        underwhelming response. It is good that this listserve is here to
        provide another avenue of communication between residents and the
        police, but it seems unfair that the police hear so much criticism from
        us when anything is wrong and get so little thanks from us when they
        risk their lives to secure our safety.

        Because officers really did put themselves at risk in pursuing both the
        illegal firearms crimes mentioned by Lt. Craig, I too was surprised to
        see that the charges against the individuals seemed so light. Is there
        a loophole in the law that doesn't allow for more serious charges? Or
        is the charge of carrrying a pistol without a license more serious than
        it sounds?

        --Jennifer

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
          Without getting into it too deep. CPWL has a penalty of up to 5 years in prison. Unless it is a second or a third offense and then there'san enhanced penalty for repeat offenders. However we only charge the most serious crime at the time of arrest. When the grand jury hears the case they are asked to indict on all of the lesser included offenses or other charges.

          For example the suspect we charged with Carrying a Pistol Without a License and Assault with a dangerous Weapon/Gun could ultimately be indicted on the following charges.

          CPWL 5 yrs
          ADW Gun 5 yrs
          Assaut With Intent to Kill 10 yrs
          Simple Assault 1 yr
          Unregistered Firearm 180 days
          Unregistered Ammunition 180 days

          So you can see the charges can add up in the end. I hope this helps. Take care.

          Lt. Craig

          ________________________________

          Is there a reason these folks aren't also charged with something like
          Reckless Endangerment as well since discharging a firearm endangers the
          lives of
          local residents??

          Also, there was a lot of police activity on Benning Road over the
          weekend,
          particularly last night. Was this a 5D or a 1D enterprise?

          Patrick Nelson
          19th & H Sts NE

          +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
          +=+
          =+=+=+=+

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
            Dear MPD,

            Thank you for issuing tickets to jay walkers (at least this wednesday, around 11).  I always worry about the kids especially (who sometimes jay walk with adult companions!).  Were there officers here this morning when the kids go to school?  I hope they'll be around when they get out of school as well.

            Thank You very much!

          • Caro Alcuaz
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
              Thank you as well to non-MPD persons who were involved in getting attention for the dangerous jaywalking situation going on / in this corner.

            • DCReardon@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
                We have been told for quite a while that the pedestrian light there would be lengthened, and that a crossing guard would be posted during to and from school times, but so far neither have been done.  My SO is in a nonpower wheelchair, and no way can he get across in the "legal" time allotted at that intersection.  We need a longer light cycle and also a crossing guard, hordes of kids go through their on their way to and from school every day.  Many people have been hit at this intersection.

                In a message dated 4/5/2006 11:17:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, caro_alcuaz@... writes:
                Dear MPD,

                Thank you for issuing tickets to jay walkers (at least this wednesday, around 11).  I always worry about the kids especially (who sometimes jay walk with adult companions!).  Were there officers here this morning when the kids go to school?  I hope they'll be around when they get out of school as well.

                Thank You very much!

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS