Noteworthy actions

  • Craig, Donald (MPD)
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
      Just a few things to let you know about this weekend.

      On April 1, 2006, at about 3:00 AM several 501 officers were conducting special attention in the area of 4th and Rhode Island Avenue N.E. They heard gun fire and followed the sound to 2nd and Adams Street N.E. They saw two subject exchanging gunfire. They chased both subjects and caught one around 3rd and V Street N.E. and the other was caught at 2nd and Channing Street N.E. They also recovered both handguns. Both subjects were charged with Carrying a Pistol Without a License and one was charged with ADW gun.

      Also on April 1, 2006, at about 10:15 PM officers received a call for a man with a gun in front of 54 W Street N.W. They saw a subject atching the description given over the radio. The subject ran and the officers gave chase catching him int he Unit block of V Street N.W. They also recoevered the handgun which he was carrying. He was charged with Carrying a Pistol Without a License.

      If you have a noteworthy performance by an officer of the Fifth District, please let us know.

      Thanks and take care everyone.

      Lt. Craig

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
        Lt. Craig.

        Is there a reason these folks aren't also charged with something like
        Reckless Endangerment as well since discharging a firearm endangers the lives of local residents??

        Also, there was a lot of police activity on Benning Road over the weekend, particularly last night. Was this a 5D or a 1D enterprise?

        Patrick Nelson
        19th & H Sts NE

        +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
        =+=+=+=+

        If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of
        fighting a foreign enemy.
        -James Madison

        "Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism"
        -Howard Zinn, Historian

        ME: http://www.speedbumps.org <http://www.speedbumps.org/> MASSAGE:
        http://www.capitolhillmassage.org <http://www.capitolhillmassage.org/>
        AIM: aRodeoJock Yahoo: aRodeoJock

        _____

[...]

      • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
          Lt. Craig,

          Please commend the officers for excellent work, on my behalf.

          Sincerely,

          Kathy Henderson, 5B10

        • helburnclu@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
            Kudos and thanks to the officers who helped make us all safer by
            getting some of the guns out of our neighborhoods. I don't know about
            other civilians on this list, but when I hear gunfire, I run away from
            it, not towards it! Please thank the officers for their bravery and
            hard work on our behalf.

            I am saddened and ashamed that the news was met with such an
            underwhelming response. It is good that this listserve is here to
            provide another avenue of communication between residents and the
            police, but it seems unfair that the police hear so much criticism from
            us when anything is wrong and get so little thanks from us when they
            risk their lives to secure our safety.

            Because officers really did put themselves at risk in pursuing both the
            illegal firearms crimes mentioned by Lt. Craig, I too was surprised to
            see that the charges against the individuals seemed so light. Is there
            a loophole in the law that doesn't allow for more serious charges? Or
            is the charge of carrrying a pistol without a license more serious than
            it sounds?

            --Jennifer

            Is there a reason these folks aren't also charged with something like
            Reckless Endangerment as well since discharging a firearm endangers the
            lives of
            local residents??

            Also, there was a lot of police activity on Benning Road over the
            weekend,
            particularly last night. Was this a 5D or a 1D enterprise?

            Patrick Nelson
            19th & H Sts NE

            +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
            +=+
            =+=+=+=+

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
              Without getting into it too deep. CPWL has a penalty of up to 5 years in prison. Unless it is a second or a third offense and then there'san enhanced penalty for repeat offenders. However we only charge the most serious crime at the time of arrest. When the grand jury hears the case they are asked to indict on all of the lesser included offenses or other charges.

              For example the suspect we charged with Carrying a Pistol Without a License and Assault with a dangerous Weapon/Gun could ultimately be indicted on the following charges.

              CPWL 5 yrs
              ADW Gun 5 yrs
              Assaut With Intent to Kill 10 yrs
              Simple Assault 1 yr
              Unregistered Firearm 180 days
              Unregistered Ammunition 180 days

              So you can see the charges can add up in the end. I hope this helps. Take care.

              Lt. Craig

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
                Dear MPD,

                Thank you for issuing tickets to jay walkers (at least this wednesday, around 11).  I always worry about the kids especially (who sometimes jay walk with adult companions!).  Were there officers here this morning when the kids go to school?  I hope they'll be around when they get out of school as well.

                Thank You very much!

              • Caro Alcuaz
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
                  Thank you as well to non-MPD persons who were involved in getting attention for the dangerous jaywalking situation going on / in this corner.

                • DCReardon@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
                    We have been told for quite a while that the pedestrian light there would be lengthened, and that a crossing guard would be posted during to and from school times, but so far neither have been done.  My SO is in a nonpower wheelchair, and no way can he get across in the "legal" time allotted at that intersection.  We need a longer light cycle and also a crossing guard, hordes of kids go through their on their way to and from school every day.  Many people have been hit at this intersection.

                    In a message dated 4/5/2006 11:17:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, caro_alcuaz@... writes:
                    Dear MPD,

                    Thank you for issuing tickets to jay walkers (at least this wednesday, around 11).  I always worry about the kids especially (who sometimes jay walk with adult companions!).  Were there officers here this morning when the kids go to school?  I hope they'll be around when they get out of school as well.

                    Thank You very much!

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS