Join the 5th District's National Night Out Kickoff Event - Best EVER!!!

  • Geovani A Bonilla
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2011

      The Truxton Circle Community and the 5th District Police Department will host National Night Out on Tuesday, August 2nd from 6pm – 8:30pm on the grounds of CAPCS Charter School at 1400 First St NW . Last year's National Night Out campaign involved citizens, law enforcement agencies, civic groups, businesses, neighborhood organizations and local officials from over 15,000 communities from all 50 states, U.S. territories, Canadian cities and military bases worldwide. In all, over 37 million people participated in National Night Out 2010.

      5th District and Ward 5’s Kick Off. Come enjoy live entertainment, music, Zumba dancers, basketball, wacky Olympics, refreshments and much more. If you are a cyclist, bring your bike and join MPD (possibly Chief Cathy Lanier) on a 5 mile ride along the Metropolitan Bike Trail. There will lots of prizes and giveaways. This event is a partnership between Metropolitan Police and local communities nationwide.

      The event will include elected officials such as Council Member Harry Thomas, Mayor Vincent Gray, Chief Cathy Lanier, ANC Commissioners and Civic Leaders.

      A Candle Light Vigil will be led by Tony Lewis, Jr. from The Sons of Life. Mr. Lewis is the son of Tony Lewis, is one of the most well-known drug kingpins in the history of D.C.," Lewis said. "For me to not follow in his footsteps and to be a beacon of positive light amongst the ex-offender population is something that I take very seriously and I take pride in." .

      Geovani A. Bonilla, Bates Area Civic Association President

      gbonilla@...

      Telephone 202-255-3312